Crotons in Vero Beach

Hey Karl, I think #35 might be Freackles needs more water to get full and maybe a little less sun.
image.jpg

Karl, your plants look great! I'm so glad Doris is doing so well for you. It's one of my favorites because of its amazing colors.

Will you be coming to Fairchild this weekend for the Spring Sale? I've been pulling crotons for the weekend and there will be a fair number of really uncommon ones (Playboy, Hoople Street, Nancy Reagan, Henry's Favorite, C&B, Three Toes, Davis 87, Flamingo, Fordii and In the Pink) There will be more, that's what I pulled today.
Marie,
I am leaning toward going to Fairchild Saturday, because I am much more into the crotons right now and don't want to miss out on some of the uncommon plants you have. I need to call them to be sure my membership with another botanical garden will get me in so it doesn't cost $50 for me and my mom to get into Fairchild to buy plants. I would rather focus all of my money on the plants and not on getting in.
Thanks,
Karl

Karl, your plants look great! I'm so glad Doris is doing so well for you. It's one of my favorites because of its amazing colors.

Will you be coming to Fairchild this weekend for the Spring Sale? I've been pulling crotons for the weekend and there will be a fair number of really uncommon ones (Playboy, Hoople Street, Nancy Reagan, Henry's Favorite, C&B, Three Toes, Davis 87, Flamingo, Fordii and In the Pink) There will be more, that's what I pulled today.
Marie,
I am going to skip the Tampa show, so weather permitting I will see you Saturday morning. Playboy and Flamingo are both on my wishlist, so I hope I get there before they are sold. Thanks for letting me know that you will have some special plants available, because that was motivation enough to come down. It will be great to see you again. I need to run out tomorrow and get some cash and will find you first thing when I get into Fairchild. I am sure they will give us a map of the vendors, but if you have a chance let me know where you will be set up. I know it will be hot but hopefully the rain holds out until the evening or visits Vero while I am away, because we do need it.
See you soon,
Karl

It was Nancy Reagan and Flamingo that I had on my wishlist and will be running to get my hands on. Can't wait to get more crotons and tear out more lawn.

I am sure they will give us a map of the vendors, but if you have a chance let me know where you will be set up.
See you soon,
Karl

Karl, I'm glad you'll be able to make it. We're located in the Palmatum - the plant sale area - on the North side under the big oak. We're almost at the entrance. Look forward to seeing you.

Here is my Freckles. It is in the shade of a large heliconia and some live oaks.
View attachment 31289
Marie let me know that this is actually Pinocchio not Freckles. When I got it, the plant did not have a name so I assumed it was Freckles by photos I had seen and was also thinking they were one in the same, but can definitely see the difference now.

Karl, I'm glad you'll be able to make it. We're located in the Palmatum - the plant sale area - on the North side under the big oak. We're almost at the entrance. Look forward to seeing you.
Marie, Could you please remind me which of the crotons I got from you are for sun vs. shade? I believe Flamingo, Nancy Reagan, Amabile, and Hazard/Green Dragon were shade and the Trinidad Interrupted, Captain Gilbert Cutler, and Sybil Griffin were for sun. My mental notes are usually far from accurate. I got spots ready for both conditions, but want to be sure I have it right. It was great to see you and the wonderful selection of plants you had at the sale. If I had brought more money, it would have been very easy to buy one of each. It was definitely worth the trip down. Thanks.

Marie, Could you please remind me which of the crotons I got from you are for sun vs. shade? I believe Flamingo, Nancy Reagan, Amabile, and Hazard/Green Dragon were shade and the Trinidad Interrupted, Captain Gilbert Cutler, and Sybil Griffin were for sun.

Karl, it was good to see you and your mom. I'm going to list the percentages of sun for each of the plants. Others on the forum may disagree and I hope they'll chime in. And, what I have as full sun here may be different from others' yards because there are so many tall trees that break all day sun.

Amabile 100%; Nancy Reagan 80%; Sybil Griffin 60%; Trinidad Interrupted 60%; Flamingo 50%, Capt. Gilbert Cutler 50% and Green Dragon 40%. Hope you enjoy them.

Nice, Marie that might set a new standard proper labeling with each sale. 15 Trinidad seedlings wonder where this might lead.
image.jpg

Karl, it was good to see you and your mom. I'm going to list the percentages of sun for each of the plants. Others on the forum may disagree and I hope they'll chime in. And, what I have as full sun here may be different from others' yards because there are so many tall trees that break all day sun.

Amabile 100%; Nancy Reagan 80%; Sybil Griffin 60%; Trinidad Interrupted 60%; Flamingo 50%, Capt. Gilbert Cutler 50% and Green Dragon 40%. Hope you enjoy them.
Thanks again Marie. This is a big help. I am glad I asked because for some reason I thought Amabile was going to need the most shade. Now I can start planting. I will look forward to seeing you again soon to get more plants.

Karl - plant update needed on this thread!
I know. I need to get out and take some pictures. It has been an incredibly busy year and I have been out of the loop ever since I added on to my teaching duties. Once summer camp started I was doing nothing but work. I am in the process of grading science fair reports from students, but one of these days I will actually get caught up. Thanks for checking in.