A Harvesting We Will Go ...

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Air Layers.jpg
Air Layers2.jpg
Air Layers3.jpg
Air Layers that were put on plants not in the Moose Land were collected today. Potting them up shall commence tomorrow. ;)

Last edited:
I posted photos of the plant in another thread. The consensus was the mother plant was Golden Glow. There are these yellow sports plus another that looks simular to Reliant. This could be a yellow Golden Glow. I do have to admit it looks alot like Yellow Johanna Coppinger in the book. I am potting them up this morning and will take pictures so we can get a better look.

Ron, Is that Yellow Johanna Coppinger?

Reliant maybe.jpg
Reliant maybe (2).jpg
Reliant Maybe (3).jpg
Reliant maybe (4).jpg
Here is the sport from the suspected Golden Glow mother plant that looks very much like Reliant. This was the only sport on the mother plant with these leaf characteristics. Please chime in with your opinions. :)

Last edited:
Suspect Golden Glow.jpg
Suspect Golden Glow (2).jpg
Suspect Golden Glow (3).jpg
Here is an air layer of the mother plant. Is this a Golden Glow? :confused: There is not one growing in the Moose Land so I don't have a comparison plant. :(

Last edited:
Looks like my Golden Glow too. The sport looks like Reliance for sure which typically appears on Johanna Coppinger. JC and Golden Glow are sister Coppinger hybrids but having the same sport on two different plants is a new one to me.

Moose - the first set of pics look like a Reliance. here's two pics of the better form known as Willie since that's the name I gave it when Dr. Brown was here some years ago and asked what its name was. I said it did nto have a name and called it Willie which tends to have a wider central band around the rib than Reliance.

Hmmm not the best pics due to bright sun but you get the idea....

Attachments

• DSCN3240.jpg
    DSCN3240.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 148
  • DSCN3241.jpg
    DSCN3241.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 135
OK, now here's the pics on Joanna Coppinger (top two) which has a narrow band of color around the midrib followed bybottom two of Golden Glow which does not have the color band around the central midrib of the leaves. Both are not real cold tolerant esp when compared to Franlin and Eleanor Roosevelts - all of which supposedly came from the same seed pod. But they're crotons so almost anything is possible....

Attachments

• DSCN3236.jpg
    DSCN3236.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 135
  • DSCN3237.jpg
    DSCN3237.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 141
  • DSCN3238.jpg
    DSCN3238.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 152
  • DSCN3239.jpg
    DSCN3239.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 147
Yellow sport.jpg
Yellow sport (2).jpg
Yellow sport (3).jpg
Yellow sport (4).jpg
Here is the yellow sport air layer from the Golden Glow mother plant. Would this be considered a Yellow Golden Glow or does it have the leaf characteristics of a Yellow Johanna Coppinger ? :(

Question - Is a Yellow Johanna Coppinger considered not very common ? :confused:

Last edited:
Moose,

I am so impressed with the collection you have found, bought in such a short amount of time! As you wrote to me in a prior thread, looking very presidential!

B A Suspect Golden Glow.jpg
B A Suspect Golden Glow (2).jpg
B A Suspect Golden Glow (3).jpg
B A Suspect Golden Glow (4).jpg
Here is another air layer from the Golden Glow mother plant. This air layer has exceptional orange coloration. This one is going to get retained for planting in Moose Land! :cool:

Last edited:
B A Yellow Sport.jpg
B A Yellow Sport (2).jpg
B A Yellow Sport (3).jpg
B A Yellow Sport (4).jpg
Here is another yellow sport air layer from the Golden Glow mother croton for comparison. :) Can an identification be made ? :confused: I want to know what to put on the tag. Thank you for your help. :cool:

Last edited:
The Moose could surely use the opinions of the long term crotonheads that frequent this forum. What are your thoughts about the yellow sport ? Could this sport be a yellow form of Golden Glow as Ray has suggested ? Two different sports on the same croton, this plant is genetically all over the place. Should I try and establish more air layers ? :confused:

Thank you in advance.

Ron. :eek:

Moose,

I am so impressed with the collection you have found, bought in such a short amount of time! As you wrote to me in a prior thread, looking very presidential!
I can see it now​

Attachments

• picresized_1311340140_784469bc-d49a-11de-95d1-001cc4c03286_image.jpg
    picresized_1311340140_784469bc-d49a-11de-95d1-001cc4c03286_image.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 122
Ray now has one of the established air layered Yellow Johanna Coppinger/Golden Glows. He has PM'd me thanking me for the plant and feels that this is in fact a Yellow Golden Glow. Thinking that it was a Yellow Johanna Coppinger, I gave the rest of my yellow sport plants away this weekend. I only kept one. :p To you crotonheads that I gave plants to, did I just give you a really rare cultivar? I would appreciate you sending me a PM letting me know what you think?

I am truly confused with Johanna Coppinger / Golden Glow. I am completely lost when it comes to Yellow Johanna Coppinger / Yellow Golden Glow. It is hard to make an ID from pictures often. Now that people are seeing the plants (or have in their possession) ... I am seeking the guidance from you that are much more experienced. :eek:

A very Confused Moose :confused:

Update: The Momma plant is no longer. Here are some photos of the "old abandoned" Coral Gables home where it was found. If you got a Yellow Golden Glow, take care of it.
This is a typical continuing example why so many of the old cultivars disappear. :mad: Croton collectors have saved many of the older cultivars, thank God.

Attachments

• Gone 1.JPG
    Gone 1.JPG
    228.4 KB · Views: 124
  • Gone 2.JPG
    Gone 2.JPG
    226.1 KB · Views: 129
Hmmmm. I guess they call this progress ...

Clustered townhomes with minimal space for nice plants. Certainly the developers will install the cheapest, most common plants - planted by "professionals" that are clueless. :(

Attachments

• Gone 3.JPG
    Gone 3.JPG
    231.5 KB · Views: 118
Yellow Golden Glow 1.JPG
Yellow Golden Glow 2.JPG
I made over 15+ air layers of the Yellow Golden Glow from the plant on this property over a two year period. It was sporting off a huge Golden Glow croton.
Most were given away, a few sold. Here is the only Yellow Golden Glow left in the Moose Land.

Last edited:
Hmmmm. I guess they call this progress ...

Clustered townhomes with minimal space for nice plants. Certainly the developers will install the cheapest, most common plants - planted by "professionals" that are clueless. :(
Yeah Ron, I know what you mean. What exactly is "Semi-Custom" anyway, as described on the banner? Is that the same as semi-pregnant? Or semi-professional? Or semi-habitual? Or, well, you can see where I am going with this. The developers here just finished putting in 30 units, all quad-plex homes just down the street from me. You should see the lovely mass of Royal Palms that were planted just a few feet off the homes, and spaced about 5-6 ft from each other. Progress indeed.

The late George Carlin used to say "Semi-Boneless Ham" - "isn't it a bone?" :rolleyes:

I believe that "Semi-Custom Home" is marketing ploy. Believe me the developer really wants to yoke out those 100+ year old oaks. Fortunately the City of Coral Gables is very protective of old oaks. If they "accidently disappeared" the fines would be exorborant, plus they would have to replace them. Not to mention it would take the developer many years to get their permits to go through. :p

My entry into the fog; 1 2 J. Coppinger. 3 Reliance 4 green and yellow sport from F. Roosevelt at my tennis club.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 108
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 121
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 118
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 110
I noticed this croton about two months ago. It is on a road that I drive through 4 to 5 times a week. Suddenly, there it was. It has probably been there for years, and I never noticed it. I haven't been able to drive by that location without anticipation of looking at it, wondering what cultivar it is, and thinking how nice it would be to add to my collection. So on Wednesday, I finally got some cuttings. Can anyone tell me what cultivar it is?no ID 001.jpgno ID 002.jpgno ID 003.jpgno ID 004.jpg