STARTING YOUR OWN PERSONAL PAGE - Amazon Don as Guinea Pig

Dypsisdean

Administrator
Staff member
28/09/07
SHOWCASE YOUR GARDEN, COUNTRY, PLANT BUSINESS, OR TRAVELS, ON YOUR OWN PERSONAL PAGE

Amazon Don is going to give this a try along with some help from me to get it started. Anyone can have their own page to showcase their garden, their nursery or plant business, the area they live, or the places they travel to view palms and plants. They can embed photos, audio, video, and include links to anything they wish. This can be your page, to do as you wish, for anything remotely connected to plants.

To start, I have asked Don to upload a few choice photos to the wiki so I can create his page and put his photos on it. Anyone can upload photos to the wiki. Just click on the Upload File (Or Upload Multiple Files) link in the left sidebar of any wiki page. Let me know a title for your page, and I'll create a page and put your photos on it for you to begin. You will quickly see by viewing your starter page and other examples how to add, configure and layout text and chapters and headings. It's fun and easy. There is more info about uploading, etc. available by clicking on the "Help" link in the same left sidebar.

Don intends to highlight his life and adventures in Amazonia, while sharing the wonder and diversity of the flora and fauna of this rich bio-system. Hopefully it will encourage others to take advantage of this feature and share their gardens, travels, etc through the years as well. As you will see, the possibilities and potential are unlimited.

So as soon as Don uploads some photos, we can get started. You can follow and learn the process here.

I have starting putting this project together. And, it is very interesting to say the least.

dk

Ari,

You would be a perfect candidate to start a Personal Page and show us the progress through the years of your garden. One day it will be lush with canopy and beauty. It would be nice to have one central page so we could all view the progress through the years.

You could also share with us, and any extended family, your home, family, and surroundings in a unique area of the world. Just send your friends and family the link, and they can keep tabs on you. I would be happy to help you get started.

Or anyone else for that matter. :)

You can watch Don's progress HERE

Ari,

I would love to see Darwin as you see it as well as your garden, and the surrounding countryside. You could throw in a trip or two to Indonesia as well. I am trying to give a macro view of where I am and continue down to my garden in the country. Since I have started working on this the possiblities have opened up all kinds of ideas. I am enthused with the project. You can pretty much expand things as much as you would like in a given area.

dk

I hope all you guys are following Don as he creates his page. There are some awesome pics, and some interesting info. Plus you can watch to see how you could create your own Personal Page.

I have to say it has been fun creating the page. It is a great way to show people where you live as well. I have sent the link to several friends and they have liked it a lot.

dk

Scott,

Well at least I hope to give you the next best thing. My goal as I have stated is to give people an idea of where I live along with a better understanding as to what Amazonia is all about. This is one of the most important regions in the world in terms of ecology. And, there is a lot said about the place and many times the real truth about what goes on and what impacts this has is not presented correctly. But, then that is the media and those that influence it. I would love to see this format used by a lot of different people giving showing their part of the globe. For someone living in say, San Diego, they may think that everyone knows what it is like. But, that is far from the case. Not that one would have to give an overview like I have of the region, it´s history, etc. It cold just be ones street, garden, and neighborhood. Or, maybe just the garden. That is the choice of the author. Everyone has an interesting story to tell.

I have a lot of work to do and as Dean says you never get done. I hope that Palmpedia becomes used more widely. It is a great resource.

dk

Scott,

Well at least I hope to give you the next best thing. My goal as I have stated is to give people an idea of where I live along with a better understanding as to what Amazonia is all about. This is one of the most important regions in the world in terms of ecology. And, there is a lot said about the place and many times the real truth about what goes on and what impacts this has is not presented correctly. But, then that is the media and those that influence it. I would love to see this format used by a lot of different people giving showing their part of the globe. For someone living in say, San Diego, they may think that everyone knows what it is like. But, that is far from the case. Not that one would have to give an overview like I have of the region, it´s history, etc. It cold just be ones street, garden, and neighborhood. Or, maybe just the garden. That is the choice of the author. Everyone has an interesting story to tell.

I have a lot of work to do and as Dean says you never get done. I hope that Palmpedia becomes used more widely. It is a great resource.

dk

Don, I will be starting my personal page soon of my region of Florida. I need to get out and get some pictures of the natural ( not a lot still around) look of my region north of the Bay and etc. Thanks again for your work on your Amazonia page. Scott

Scott,

I know you have some photos of your garden as it has progressed through the years. I know I find photos illustrating the growth of a garden. I assume others do as well. Depending on how many you have, we could put together a before and after, or a slideshow of the progression, on your Personal Page.

Scott,

I know you have some photos of your garden as it has progressed through the years. I know I enjoy photos illustrating the growth of a garden. I assume others do as well. Depending on how many you have, we could put together a before and after, or a slideshow of the progression, on your Personal Page.

Dean, Great idea! I will have to look to see what older photos I have.

That sound great Scott. It would very interesting to have a part on the native vegetation in that part of Florida. When I used to live in Fort Lauderdale I used to find little patches of remnant vegetation and explore it. It may be just a vacant lot, but sometimes there were some interesting plants. Unfortunately there are not a lot of vacant lots there anymore. I am looking forward to seeing you page develop.

dk

Don, There still are some pockets of unspoiled land left around here but most have vanished. When I moved here 11yrs ago lots of natural areas, Citrus and Cattle Farms. Today its Malls, Restaurants and Homes.

Scott,

I used to visit the Orlando - Tampa area in the mid 80´s when I was doing sales for an airline in Miami. There has been a real change since then.

dk

Dave,

I would love to see a page about California. Wherever one lives becomes just everyday life. Even if it appears exotic to others from a far. What is interesting about the Palmpedia wiki pages is that you can go as far or as little as you want. If it is just someones yard that is great. In my case I feel that I live in a place that a lot of people hear about, but not many of them really know what it looks like and what goes on here. It is also a place to organize ones pictures and thoughts as well. And, some of the pictures can be used to enhance the Palmpedia data base as well. It is much different than a post on Palm Talk which will sooner or later slip into obscurity.

So, why don´t you start making your life in LAX page?

dk

Dave and Don,

Both you guys are colorful characters in your own way. That, in and of itself, lends to interesting reading.

Dave is an excellent writer, and has already mastered some of the methods of editing on Palmpedia. So he is welcome to give it a go anytime he wishes.

But Dave, I would initially set my sights on something less ambitious than the entire state of California. I know Don has chosen the state of Amazonia, but by concentrating on maybe SoCal first, it wouldn't seem so overwhelming. It is always easily expandable, flexible, and can change mid-stream if desired.

Dean . . . .

How about a section on Hollywood? With our without MattyB!

Don!

Love your pages! Keep at them!

Ari . . .

Well, mate, give us a page on Darwin, complete with anything . . . . . .

Thanks Dan,

And the invitation is open to all. Since you are local here, I could help getting you started on your own page highlighting your garden, latest projects, and travels very easily. Only the tip of the iceberg has been started here. There is so much potential for a person to chronicle the growth of their garden, their travels, their interests and projects, etc in order to share with friends and family through the years. It could be a great personal album with all the new technology that the web offers.

My goal is to try and keep Palmpedia at the cutting edge of High Quality audio, video, and still photos.