How do they do it?

Hi Dimych! Each croton has male and female flowers that can be pollinated by ants- or humans (they are dioecious)! If you want to create a new hybrid, you take the male flowers from an inflorescence, find the croton you want to hybridize it with, and rub the pollen from the male flower onto the female flower. Soon, the flowers turn into small, round nodules that will contain several oval seeds inside. When you see these seed pods forming, you cover the inflorescence with a little mesh bag or something because when the seeds are ready the seed pods explode and cast the seeds as far as it can. You have to have something to catch them. Then you plant them and hopefully, you get something you like. The truth is, it takes many, many ugly plants to get one that's a star. Like out of 100, you might get one or two if you're lucky. It's a lot of work! Also, the flowers occur at different times on different cultivars, and you have to beat the ants to them (the ants find them quickly and pollinate them if you're not fast). Another problem is you might want to hybridize two plants, but if one isn't blooming, or doesn't have the right sex bloom, you have to find another that's receptive.

Hi Dimych!
A little not mean it. I already crossed Petra and Iceton. It turned out 20 seeds. Everybody grows up. Some are colored, some are green. I wonder what happens next. Will they inherit the traits of their parents or will there be something else? How to understand that a new hybrid has turned out?

Dimych - working with a genetically unstable plant has its challenges. The off spring usually, but not always, have some characteristics of the parent plants. The only way to see what the progeny look like is to grow them out for a year or more. The ugly ones get trashed and the good looking ones get to live a bit longer to see what they will eventually look like. However, it can be a lot of fun if you have the room and patience.

Think I figured it out). If you get a beautiful and not like the others - can be defined as a new variety and distribute it cuttings.
Left the most color

Attachments

• 20181028_100400.jpg
    20181028_100400.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 212