Croton event ??

Hello all,croton tour is confirmed with the following times.Date March 31

10.30am at my house in Plantation then we head to Mike Harris for lunch and auction at 12.00 noon.Anyone who wants addresses or more info please private message me or call me 954-6736882.I will have some light breakfast fare at my house plus drinks here but it would be great if attendees bring something for lunch.Cakes food etc.All are welcome :)

Unfortunately I still have not gotten to the point where I am propagating crotons, but I would be happy to bring large cordyline cuttings to give away if anyone would like some. I have close to 100 varieties so should be able to easily get cuttings from 20 or 30 that are looking good. I still need to bring another batch to David, but still have plenty of interesting and uncommon varieties (most came as cuttings from Hawaii) to hand out. I also have hundreds of pots I need to get rid of (most 3 gallon) so if anyone can use them I will throw a bunch in the car before I leave. Just let me know if anyone wants either so I can come prepared.

Reactions: Pix
I would appreciate the cuttings of cordylines. Thank you, Karl.
Pix, I will bring an assortment. I know you had some interesting cordylines based on the photos you had shared, but hopefully I will have plenty you don't have. I mix them with the crotons in both sun and shade. I will try to take some photos to post so you and anyone else that wants them can let me know what to take cuttings of. Many don't look great this time of year, but will put on some nice new growth soon.

How did you end up making out with the plants that were damaged by the cold? I lost a few plants that I have had for many years, so this must have been the coldest it had gotten. Most are coming back and some that were supposed to be very cold sensitive were not even bothered (variegated banana was supposed to not be able to handle low temperatures but is fine). I have several large live oaks that provide a protective canopy over much of the garden, which definitely helped.

Unfortunately I still have not gotten to the point where I am propagating crotons, but I would be happy to bring large cordyline cuttings to give away if anyone would like some. I have close to 100 varieties so should be able to easily get cuttings from 20 or 30 that are looking good. I still need to bring another batch to David, but still have plenty of interesting and uncommon varieties (most came as cuttings from Hawaii) to hand out. I also have hundreds of pots I need to get rid of (most 3 gallon) so if anyone can use them I will throw a bunch in the car before I leave. Just let me know if anyone wants either so I can come prepared.

Thanks Karl, I certainly would love to add some of your Cordylines to my garden!

Great, Randy. With all the crotons I got from you it would be nice to be able to give some plants back. I will bring as many different varieties as I can find and cut them the day before the auction. I have dwarf, mini leaved, tall, and large leaved in most of the colors, so will try to bring an assortment of all of them.

Just took a look around and should have about 50 varieties of cordylines to bring cuttings of. Don't know all the names, some relatively common (not in the box stores) and other types from Hawaii that I have never seen for sale other than from specific growers there. I know some I paid $20 or $30 for a 6 inch stem cutting, so they are supposed to be special. Now I can't tell most apart because I did not label as I planted them and they change dramatically as they mature. Happy to finally have something I can share.

Waterfall for the auction
WATERFALL.jpg

Looking forward to seeing everyone. I too am interested in cordylines or other unusual plants since I am starting over.
I will bring plenty of cordyline cuttings for everyone who wants to choose from. What kind of unusual plants are you interested in? I am always happy to share if I have anything you would want. I have plenty of unusual philodendrons which I can take cuttings of. I have a low growing, fast spreading, variegated heliconia from Thailand that I always need to dig out because it spreads so quick. It seldom flowers but the foliage is nice. Have tons of bromeliads including some that are not very common. Some rarely available syngoniums that will creep around in the shade. Other shade loving foliage plants like calathea, aglaonema, sansevieria, etc. I am sure I have lots of other things that seed around or can easily have cuttings taken from. Just let me know what you are looking for and I will do my best to collect what I can for you.

I will bring plenty of cordyline cuttings for everyone who wants to choose from. What kind of unusual plants are you interested in? I am always happy to share if I have anything you would want. I have plenty of unusual philodendrons which I can take cuttings of. I have a low growing, fast spreading, variegated heliconia from Thailand that I always need to dig out because it spreads so quick. It seldom flowers but the foliage is nice. Have tons of bromeliads including some that are not very common. Some rarely available syngoniums that will creep around in the shade. Other shade loving foliage plants like calathea, aglaonema, sansevieria, etc. I am sure I have lots of other things that seed around or can easily have cuttings taken from. Just let me know what you are looking for and I will do my best to collect what I can for you.

Thanks Karl, I could use some Bromeliads & a couple philodendrons if you have!

Karl,
Thanks! I'm a big fan of broms & phils & really all the shade plants you mentioned. I have 4 granddaddy oaks on this property that provide ample shade. This is the first time I won't have to build a canopy of palms.

Karl,
Thanks! I'm a big fan of broms & phils & really all the shade plants you mentioned. I have 4 granddaddy oaks on this property that provide ample shade. This is the first time I won't have to build a canopy of palms.
Great. I will look for anything I can find that looks like it would work for you and anyone else who is interested. Will fill the back of my car. I always enjoy sharing. It will be like bringing Christmas presents.

I went through a Sansevieria stage and have several unusual varieties scattered in dry locations in part sun to shade. I dug a bunch up to bring along. A few are Thai varieties and many are species or hybrids, not the typical ones. Below is what I dug up to bring.

Snakeplant 1.JPG
Snakeplant 2.JPG

Pix, I will bring an assortment. I know you had some interesting cordylines based on the photos you had shared, but hopefully I will have plenty you don't have. I mix them with the crotons in both sun and shade. I will try to take some photos to post so you and anyone else that wants them can let me know what to take cuttings of. Many don't look great this time of year, but will put on some nice new growth soon.

How did you end up making out with the plants that were damaged by the cold? I lost a few plants that I have had for many years, so this must have been the coldest it had gotten. Most are coming back and some that were supposed to be very cold sensitive were not even bothered (variegated banana was supposed to not be able to handle low temperatures but is fine). I have several large live oaks that provide a protective canopy over much of the garden, which definitely helped.

Karl, I am sorry for the delayed reply. I suddenly got so busy
and tired every day…
None of my crotons have died. But they lost their leaves, and they have a lot of die back.
Most part of my lot is on the north side, by the street, open to NW wind. There I am going to take advantage of me still being in zone 9, not 10, and will take a closer look at the Southern Living collection. Sunshine ligustrum looked very happy during the freeze, Azaleas were blooming like crazy, Crape Myrtles are doing great. I am looking to try different barberries and more of cold hardy palms that did very well this year.

A few plants were killed by frost. Areca palms were damaged badly, some died. I even lost my new shade tree.

I obviously cannot accumulate all the crotons in the world. I decided to limit my collection to those that I especially like.

So many people are interested in your plants. How are you planning to share? I hate to compete for free stuff. I wish you can put some of cordyline's cuttings aside for me (doesn't matter which ones) and charge me accordingly.

I also have some plants to share: bromeliads, Monstera, Crinum…and they all potted. I even have a few crotons for auction that have been in the pots since last spring. I mean that they are already well established air layers.

I just wanted to let everyone know that unfortunately, due to unforeseen circumstances, we will not be able to make the drive after all. Super bummed but hope to catch up & do a drive to SF in May or June.

I just wanted to let everyone know that unfortunately, due to unforeseen circumstances, we will not be able to make the drive after all. Super bummed but hope to catch up & do a drive to SF in May or June.
Sorry to hear this, if you ever come South I have Van Buren potted up for you. Maybe something else you might like.

I just found out Pix is not going to make it either. I still have Randy to take some of the cordylines and bromeliads. Hopefully someone else will be interested and the plants go to a good home. I will hold off on digging and taking cuttings of everything else so I don't end up with too many plants that may not have gardens to go in. Sorry you can't make it.

Went out this morning to start getting plants ready to bring to share at the auction. Here are cordylines and some bromeliads I have ready, when I return on Friday from chaperoning the state science fair I will get the other things.

View attachment 36739 View attachment 36740 View attachment 36741 View attachment 36742 View attachment 36743 View attachment 36744 View attachment 36745
Hi Karl,
If there's one available, I'd love a cutting of the cordyline in the first photo of cordylines, bottom left, looks a bit like a textured, broad leafed pink and green lettuce leaf. Probably a small compact grower.. Thank you, Melanie - Hollywood.

Hi Melanie,

That was one that came from Hawaii as a small cutting. I did not label them when I put them in the garden, so don't know the names of most. That is one of my favorites and did not even color up until it had been in the ground for close to 2 years so thought it was just going to be green. I have a few others like that with similar texture and colors but different shades and amounts of green/pink. So far nobody has asked me to hold any specific ones, so you are welcome to it. If someone else wanted it, I could take another cutting. See you tomorrow. I went a little overboard with taking cuttings so hope there are enough people who want them.

Guys, I am very sorry but we are making our plans way ahead.
…and we had a family sickness (travel) last weekend and, consequently, an out of state funeral (travel) next weekend… DH has repeatedly asked me for more information where and when we are going this weekend…and there was no information. It seems that everybody else knows what to do and where to go, and nobody else is expected to come...

Karl, I will come to Vero Beach any day next week to claim anything that is not taken.

Hi Karl! Glad to hear you are bringing some sansevieria plants as I have started collecting some to put in pots around the pool in the Keys. Have not had any significant rain since Irma and they seem to survive! Thanks ! Judy

…and we had a family sickness (travel) last weekend and, consequently, an out of state funeral (travel) next weekend… DH has repeatedly asked me for more information where and when we are going this weekend…and there was no information. It seems that everybody else knows what to do and where to go, and nobody else is expected to come...

Karl, I will come to Vero Beach any day next week to claim anything that is not taken.

Pix, This was posted previously in this thread........Hello all,croton tour is confirmed with the following times.Date March 31

10.30am at my house in Plantation then we head to Mike Harris for lunch and auction at 12.00 noon.Anyone who wants addresses or more info please private message me or call me 954-6736882.I will have some light breakfast fare at my house plus drinks here but it would be great if attendees bring something for lunch.Cakes food etc.All are welcome :)

Come on down & call Mike on the way. You can PM me if you want & Ill send you the addresses. I guarantee you'll be disappointed to miss these gardens. Randy

Pix, I got the addresses of where we are going for the auction when I sent Mike a PM. I have Monday off from school next week, the rest of the week I don't usually get home from school until after 5. If you can't make it to the auction and make it to Vero, I can take cuttings of anything you want.

Hi Karl! Glad to hear you are bringing some sansevieria plants as I have started collecting some to put in pots around the pool in the Keys. Have not had any significant rain since Irma and they seem to survive! Thanks ! Judy
Great, I was hoping someone could use them. That is one advantage of them, they don't need or even want water. The only time they have not done well for me is when I put them in an area that gets too much water. I have them in conditions from deep shade to full sun. Most are in part sun.

Thanks Karl, I could use some Bromeliads & a couple philodendrons if you have!
Randy, I will go out and grab a few philodendrons this morning for you. Many took a beating from the cold winter and are just starting to push some new growth, but their are a few that look good and are ready to go.

Hi Melanie,

That was one that came from Hawaii as a small cutting. I did not label them when I put them in the garden, so don't know the names of most. That is one of my favorites and did not even color up until it had been in the ground for close to 2 years so thought it was just going to be green. I have a few others like that with similar texture and colors but different shades and amounts of green/pink. So far nobody has asked me to hold any specific ones, so you are welcome to it. If someone else wanted it, I could take another cutting. See you tomorrow. I went a little overboard with taking cuttings so hope there are enough people who want them.
Thanks so much for this gorgeous cutting, Karl! It is much appreciated and I hope to reciprocate in the future. Great meeting you!

Pix, All of the plants went to good homes. There was quite a crowd there. The few that were left over are going to find a spot in Mike's 5 acres. Sorry you did not get the addresses in time to go, there were quite a few crotons that went for very reasonable prices. I did not have much to spend this year because of other expenses, but still came home with 12 beautiful crotons. If you are ever going to be around Vero please let me know and you are welcome to stop by and take your pick. I have given away or traded hundreds or even thousands of plants over the years, but never sold one. I just like to share. Some day when I start propagating the crotons I will bring them to the auction and maybe sell them (I say maybe because if someone falls in love with them before the auction I would probably just give it away, not a very profitable business style).

Thanks so much for this gorgeous cutting, Karl! It is much appreciated and I hope to reciprocate in the future. Great meeting you!
Melanie, I am glad you found one you really liked. I think you probably have similar taste to me when it comes to the Hawaiian cordylines, many of the ones I got had the large lettuce like leaves. I have another really nice one called Strawberry Sundae that I was going to cut, but never got to that section of the garden. It is similar in appearance but has more and darker pink. I wish we had more tours because I want to have a chance to visit everyone's gardens.

Hello all,I am back in town now and the garden is looking great,looking to forward to Saturday.
Mike, Thanks for the opportunity to visit your gardens. The crotons are spectacular. If you really do decide that you are going to rip out some of those beautiful little seedlings that are 5 years old, please let me know as I will happily come down and rescue them. I don't care how small they are, they would make a great addition to the front of some of my gardens. Of course if there is anything I have that I can share just let me know. I have tons of rare, weird, and unusual plants that can complement crotons. Not sure if Mike Harris is on the forum, but please thank him for me as well. I forgot to go over and tell him how impressed I was and thank him for the opportunity to visit. Well worth the trip down from Vero.

If you ever are coming near Vero, please let me know so I can share a bunch of plants for you to start creating the new gardens. I am sure I could fill up your car with cuttings and divisions of interesting shade plants.

Thanks to Mike W., the organizer, Mike H. the host, Jeff the auctioneer, Greg and DeDe the tour guides, and to all who brought crotons and food. It was so good to be with all of you. Thanks for a wonderful day of "croton fun"!