Spring 2015 Garden Tour in Miami

image.jpg
If you like red ... By auction day the red will be dazzling.
image.jpg

image.jpg
Introducing this two year old hybrid " Pixie Dust ", this plant has looked good right from the start and has been very consistent in regard to leaf shape and coloring. I see a lot of Rudy Bachman in this one. This is my only plant and realize it's unusual to name a new hybrid and then let it go, but it's for the best and if it works out it'll be fun tracking one down. This isn't a good photo...maybe Ron can post a better one.

image.jpg
Hybrid " Brenda Kay ".

I might add that Brenda was discharged from the hospital today. Her counts are building and according to doctors, her white blood cells indicate that the transplant successfully grafted. We will be going to the hospital daily for tests. It's been rough going for her, still very weak but she is improving.

image.jpg
And lastly the croton " Jeff Searle ".

Jeff you haven't commented on this, if you would rather name it something else or if someone recognizes it, it's perfectly fine with me. Just to update everyone - I purchased this croton at one of Jeff's sales, it was labeled " Elaine " which wasn't correct. My only thing is it needed a name so we can get it in the encyclopedia. This croton looks terrific all year long.

Thanks Ron for the invitation to auction some of my hybrids at your garden tour.

As I have mentioned often, all proceeds from my croton sales go to the "Little Daisy Memorial Scholarship Fund".
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Haven't had an opportunity to update but this still works. Have loads of fun you all!

View attachment 31342 Hybrid " Brenda Kay ".

I might add that Brenda was discharged from the hospital today. Her counts are building and according to doctors, her white blood cells indicate that the transplant successfully grafted. We will be going to the hospital daily for tests. It's been rough going for her, still very weak but she is improving.

Wonderful news on Brenda. Each day should be easier on her. We wish you both well.

Amazing hybrids! You have the magic touch.

Great hearing such good news, best wishes and big hugs Nell and me. 1st year seedling Brenda S. If that's ok with you guys.
image.jpg

Jerry....I apologize for not commenting earlier. I'm honored that you named a plant after me. I'm still trying to figure out where the plant came from. I just looked yesterday at my Elaine in the yard and it's definitely not the plant you have pictured above. And I'm 99% confident on what I have, is the real Elaine. Maybe we can have enough knowledgeable people at the upcoming garden tour that can share their input. Sorry you won't be there. Now I must get one!!!

I know some of you think I was nuts to start the tour early and the auction at 10:30 am. The high for this Saturday is forecast around 90 F. Our activities we be in the high 70's, nice and comfy. :cool:

View attachment 31329 Due to an unexpected issue with our place in the Keys, I made a quick trip last week to address it. Three weeks prior I had sprayed the yard for mites & scale, as well as fertilize and was gratified to see the yard flushing and vibrant. While there I pulled the hybrids with the most potential and dropped them off at the Mooseland for the upcoming tour & auction on my way back to Houston. I hope you like them.

Here are the un-named two year olds:

First up is this green & yellow - very large leaves & vivid coloring. One of the better ones in this class.

I've got it from a reliable source that all the crotons Jerry posted in this thread will be arriving Saturday morning for the auction - this may get crazy :confused:

I've got it from a reliable source that all the crotons Jerry posted in this thread will be arriving Saturday morning for the auction - this may get crazy :confused:
I am so happy that my schedule is allowing me to come to the auction. I hope I am lucky enough to go home with something special with my limited budget. No doubt there will be plenty of crotons that will be new to me and very exciting to have the opportunity to even bid on. Should be great fun.

I am so happy that my schedule is allowing me to come to the auction. I hope I am lucky enough to go home with something special with my limited budget. No doubt there will be plenty of crotons that will be new to me and very exciting to have the opportunity to even bid on. Should be great fun.

There will always something you don't have that you can pick up for just a few dollars

There will always something you don't have that you can pick up for just a few dollars
Thanks for the info. Since this is my first time to go to one of the auctions, I had visualized everything going for hundreds of dollars because much of it is rare and unusual. It won't take much for me to find something new and I will be happy to go home with anything different. I look forward to just getting together with the other croton collectors and experiencing an auction for the first time in many years. My last auction was probably 20 years ago when I was in my twenties and I was bidding on unusual tropical fish in a mall in Massachusetts. Got some very cool fish to add to my many aquariums at the time, but luckily the crotons should survive more than a year or two (weather permitting) and I have a slightly bigger budget. :cool:

Hi Ron!

I am running in the AM (training for the NYC Marathon!) so I won't be arriving until about 9:30am. I look forward to meeting all of the croton lovers tomorrow and attending my first auction.

Your Neighbor Karen

Weather looks very promising for tomorrow. No prediction of precipitation, some clouds with a high of 85 F. Good thing too - everything is soggy with the humidity at 85%. A refreshing light breeze of 6 - 11 mph.

Look forward to seeing everyone!
colored moose.jpg CrotonRawBugFinal.jpg

Thank you all for making this such a fun happening. The array of plants in the auction was truly amazing.

Thank you also to those folks who brought plantoid gifts for new additions to the Moose Land. :gangnamstyle:

It was great to come home with a nice assortment of crotons. It would be well worth the trip even if I did not have a conference down in Coral Gables. I will be looking forward to the next auction, but first I have to go yank out some other plants to make room for more crotons.

Ron thank you so much for the very nice event. Loved seeing everyone, enjoyed the auction as well as seeing part of your beautiful collection. (never made it through) Pam thanks for your delicious pecan toffee bars. Yummmmm Emmylou

Ron,
Thank you and Pam and Manny for hosting such a fun day. Great people, plants, food and weather. What more could one want?
Marie

Ron, thank-you so much for having us. I had such a great time touring your garden and seeing your amazing crotons and palms! It was wonderful seeing everyone and the auction was great fun. I came home with some beautiful plants and one very lovely rock! Jeff and Tim, thanks so much for running the auction. As always, you did a great job.

Ron and Pam,
Thank you both for the great experience we enjoyed! The yard looked great, the food was some of the best I've seen, weather was good, and the friendships were amazing. Croton collecting and the creation of new croton gardens is alive and growing!

I'm an idiot!!!!! I somehow thought it was on Sunday (today). I even had it on my calendar. My plants were all tagged & in my car packed, ready to go this morning. I was headed south on the turnpike when I stopped to check the address...........idiot!!!. I've been a little preoccupied lately. So sorry I missed everyone & Pam & Ron's garden. I'm sure everyone had a blast.

Thank you Ron for hosting the auction....thank you for your hospitality! I was great to see everyone and as always wonderful crotons!