palms in and around sicily

Ninja

24/02/14
I was just on vacation in Sicily and Liparian Islands and brought home some souvenirs... DSC01383.JPG
The seeds in the lower part are phoenix dactylifera, phoenix canariensis, trachycarpus fortunei (at leas I hope so..) and chrysalidocarpus
however I don't know about the seeds in the upper part, I'll post pictures of the palms I collected them from/under, I hope some of you can help me identifying those.
the tiny black ones in the middle could be washingtonia?

the ones in the upper right corner are from a palm next to Catania Airport:
DSC00898_small.JPG
fruits were green to black, about half an inch large, the cleaned seeds look like miniature coconuts

the five seeds in the upper left corner are from this one - the leaves looked a bit silvery, the fruits were yellow and quite fleshy (probably you could eat them??)

Attachments

• DSC00896_small.JPG
    DSC00896_small.JPG
    458.5 KB · Views: 198
  • DSC00897_small.JPG
    DSC00897_small.JPG
    481.7 KB · Views: 215
Hey Nina - good finds.

The first pic is of a Queen Palm.
The second - you were right, you can eat them and make good jelly. It is even called a Jelly Palm.
The last one looks to me like a Sabal. There are several species and it would be hard to tell exactly from the pics. But you could look in Palmpedia under Sabal and see if any look familiar.

There are so so many nice plants there its unbelievable... the side strips of the highways are full with oleander and hibiscus, it's growing like weed there
@Dean - thanks a lot for the information, that's really cool!!! I hope some of the seeds will grow...:jiggy:

There are so so many nice plants there its unbelievable... the side strips of the highways are full with oleander and hibiscus, it's growing like weed there
@Dean - thanks a lot for the information, that's really cool!!! I hope some of the seeds will grow...:jiggy:
I know another island with some nice plants you should visit soon as well. ;)

Holiday plans are in the making!!!Joyful
In the meantime the holiday palms are coming along nicely, here's an overeager Trachycarpus (which actually makes me doubt it's a Trachycarpus..)
DSC01698.JPG