cold front

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Well the first noteworthy cold front of the season is nearly done. Should help the plants to start hardening off.

Temperature wise, not much to fret about but there is one concern. This front broke record lows in many areas around Florida. I hope this was an anomaly and not an indicator that we will have a rough winter season.

My low here in Moose Land was 54 F.

Lets hear what other forum members got hit with. How low did you go?

Around 48F here. Just watch the jet stream - when it takes a big dip south, we are going to get cold air. This would have been a near disaster in mid January.
Where's Ray with his long range forecast and updates on the Arctic oscillation and other good meteorological info?

I had 49F here on Sunday morning. Typically, I'm a degree or 2 warmer than Tampa's official airport reading.

Phil, the AO looks very negative in a few weeks which spells a cold blast. November freezes are very uncommon (last one in Tampa was 1970) so we're overdue.

Hmmm, the next one is coming. I'm getting some bad vibes about this cold season. Seems to be cranking up a bit early. Watching

November fronts not too bad as Phil mentioned the warm up is usually pretty quick,have to more concerned about the setup for Jan/Feb.Too early to tell what this is likely to be.Cold November does not mean cold Jan/Feb.As Ray said the AO is key and we will not know what this is looking like until mid to late Dec.

I had a low of 46f here on 11-4. Forecasting as of this time is for a low of 38f for me Tuesday.

The forecast this morning has shaved off 2 degrees, now a low of 36F forecast. :rolleyes:

46F according to NWS keyed to my ZIP code; will take in my potted Pellagodaxa henryana; everyone else is on their own in the yard. 1" of needed rain - always good to hydrate before cold DRY air hits.

Phil, interesting how we differ so close in proximity. I am using weather underground. I think i should not use my zip code. I looked up 33712 and its deceiving as i am at the most southern end of it and its a large section of inner land for most part.

I saw a report this am on local TV station. According to the report the front will lose much of its punch when it makes its way here. I'm skeptical as they are not as accurate as other weather sources.

I saw a report this am on local TV station. According to the report the front will lose much of its punch when it makes its way here. I'm skeptical as they are not as accurate as other weather sources.

National Weather Service has a forecast low of 60 F tonight for my zip code.

Hayward has many microclimates- we stretch from the shores of the bay (bay breezes that make street tree's there lean) up to and slightly over the coastal hills- where the blockage of all that wind makes a nice warm spring day. 10f difference on highs is common. And on many days,the hills warm up earlier. That being said,my home at the base of low hills has seen 47f and pretty much a standard low 50's other wise. At least a warm Z17 Sunset if not as frost free as Z17 San Francisco.

Hayward has many microclimates- we stretch from the shores of the bay (bay breezes that make street tree's there lean) up to and slightly over the coastal hills- where the blockage of all that wind makes a nice warm spring day. 10f difference on highs is common. And on many days,the hills warm up earlier. That being said,my home at the base of low hills has seen 47f and pretty much a standard low 50's other wise. At least a warm Z17 Sunset if not as frost free as Z17 San Francisco.

That's not too bad,your crotons should survive if your lows only get down to 47,they might not thrive without the heat that we get here in Fl but you certainly have a chance :)

Forecast temp estimate here is 39 degrees tonight. May be slightly warmer because of my close proximity to the bay. But cold enough to move some baby seedlings, some rare varieties and newly potted plants into the garage under a grow light. I put them on top of a thick mover's blanket to keep them off the cold concrete floor. Long range forecast for the winter is colder than normal. Seems to be starting...

41 for the low here. A nice blanket of cloud cover streaking in from the SW and a wind from the NE failed the forecasted low for my area.

The cloud train overhead...
cloudfl-mcx_1.jpg

Attachments

• cloudfl-mcx_1.jpg
    cloudfl-mcx_1.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 123
  • cloudfl-mcx_1.jpg
    cloudfl-mcx_1.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 148
That's not too bad,your crotons should survive if your lows only get down to 47,they might not thrive without the heat that we get here in Fl but you certainly have a chance :)
That's a 47 up to now!..we will get mid 30's certainly when mid December rolls around. My mildest years have had lows of 35f.
Still,the last two years so mild. Just a couple of days and nights here and there in winter of real cold- then sunny and mild the rest of the year. December is our coldest month,by mid January- home free.

The next one is here. Not a major event, may help harden off the plants. My suspicious mind keeps worrying that we are due for a real cold blast.

Ray - any updates on the predicted winter arctic activity?

A bit nippy here this morning. This is the second of the three multiple fronts passing through the state. Will keep the lows down there and may dip into the 40's here. Been watering the last couple of days, a hydrated croton is more resilient against the cold.

How low is it getting in your area?