Hibiscus Feeding

ScotTi

Esteemed Member
16/04/08
What fertilizer are best for Hibiscus? I usually throw palm fertilizer around mine when I feed the palms. I have read good things about using liquid seaweed on Hibiscus also. I have seen over the past few weeks some beautiful fancy flowered ones in the local garden centers. I want to give them a try, but I know from my past experience I can not keep them looking good.

I'm not an expert but the most important thing is to have a low middle number. Hibiscus store phosphorus and if you feed them phosphorus it will build up to a toxic level. It will slowly kill them so NEVER use "super bloom" on them! I just use the same time release fertilizer Dean uses for his palms. Then I supplement them with K-Mag because our soil is potassium deficient. I occasionally sprinkle some Epsom salt and give them fish emulsion too.

image.jpgMy new babies from Hibiscus Place!!

yep - medium Nitrogen (N), LOW phosphorus - the middle number and high Potassium (K). I only know palm fertilizers they sell here in austria, and at least from their composition they have here they are the right thing for hibiscus.
for the seaweed - I just started trying that out myself, should also be good for hibs. If I'm not completely mistaken Supernova sold by HVH contains seaweed (?).

I checked all the fertilizers they sell here and discovered that the ones for veggies and berries are perfect for hibiscus regarding the numbers - they contain a lot of K because it also promotes the tastiness of tomatos etc.

I once made that mistake that I wanted to set up a more regular fertilizing routine for my hibiscus using the one I already had at home - which was for blooming plants - and I managed to piss off even my big bushes seriously, that fertilizer almost killed them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are my ugly hibiscus bushes. The leaves never look healthy, but they do like to flower.

Attachments

• Img_4815.jpg
    Img_4815.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 261