Update on Anthocleista grandiflora

Dypsisdean

Administrator
Staff member
28/09/07
Eleven months ago I took some "cuttings" of Anthocleista and documented the procedure and hopes HERE.

I thought you all might like to see an update. The first pic is one of the "cuttings" freshly planted. The next two are the plant as it is doing today.

I hear this plant will grow in Southern California.

Attachments

• AnGrNew.jpg
    AnGrNew.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 508
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 291
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 327
Peter is the one that told me about this plant when he visited a few years ago. He was looking for seed. By chance, my neighbor down the street had one growing. This is from some suckers of hers.

BTW - Peter also told me about Amherstia, and a few others.

Well, now you just need some Browneopsis ucayana then... Or do you have those as well??

Regards, Ari :)

Ari,

That's funny. I was going to mention those. No, I don't have any yet. But I think I located where to get one. It's just a long way, and I don't know the guy.

Peter also told me I needed a Mangosteen. So i did get one of those, but I have never tasted the fruit. From what I heard, i better buy some, cuz I'll never see the fruit on my little guy. :)

It can take 8-12 years for Mangosteen to fruit from seeds . You have to have a taste... Some people thinks they are not as good as people make them to be, but I think they are to die for.

I have one in my shadehouse... I haven't planted it yet, as it needs shade while young... So, I am growing some bananas & papayas around where I am going to plant it so I can remove them later on.

Get some seeds of Browneopsis from a guy in Ecuador. Apparently, he is pretty good...

Ever since I turned 50 my patience for planting seed has been getting less and less.

Hopefully I can find a nice 2 meter sapling over here. Then I'll have a chance to see it flower someday. :)

Nice Dean! I managed to germinate a few seeds finally and have a few tiny seedlings-hopefully I can nurse them up to planting size.

Peter,

May I suggest you find a real good nurseryman in South Florida where you can send your seedlings to and have him grow them out and up, in a much quicker time. Maybe work out a small deal with him for his labor.:D

Jeff

Me too.. thanks Peter :) :). I can't wait... they are growing strong from such tiny little seeds..

Peter knows I have a large mature plant just down the road, from where I got my suckers.

I hope he could chime in and tell me if knows yet what to look for, and when to look for flowers and/or seed pods. And I would also be curious to know at what size they start producing seed. I would think with the premium care my plant receives, I could have some seeds to share soon. But I have no idea.