Moving from PalmTalk to PalmPedia

Axel

13/06/13
This is my first post on PalmPedia. I don't know how many people from PalmTalk are already here, but since PMs are going away on PalmTalk, I see no point on staying on PalmTalk. PalmPedia is also moderated by Dean, so why not put all our energy into this forum instead?

Can we have a roll call to see how many folks from PalmTalk are already registered here?

Or if you also have moved recently due to the recent announcements, please, say hello.

I've been here almost as long as Palmtalk but I rarely post. Hopefully the forum here can handle the traffic brought in by the move!

I've been here almost as long as Palmtalk but I rarely post. Hopefully the forum here can handle the traffic brought in by the move!

I registered a while ago, but also never posted here before. PalmTalk doesn't have that much traffic from looking at the number of people logged in at any given point in time, I think most of the load PalmTalk gets is from robots and scrapers.

I've been here a while as well. I tend to use this site more for the Online Palm Encyclopedia which is a great resource, and I've posted on the Croton page several times.

Is there a PM feature here? I too rarely post but just love the encyclopaedia. Would be easy to migrate here but the point is the loss of off forum contact.

I've been registered here for a while now, and mainly use the croton forum. I might only log in to PalmTalk once or twice a month. I think it would be great to have more palm enthusiasts join us here and contribute to the wealth of knowledge that is shared.

It is obviously a different format, but actually based on what is considered the best forum software out there. And yes, there are PMs and most anything else you would want.

But please note - I am still trying to save PalmTalk from their self imposed damage.

Welcome to Palmpedia for those that are new here. I have been on Palmpedia for a few years now. I have always preferred the forum here rather than Palm Talk anyhow. Everything is set up easy here for posting. The Online Palm Encyclopedia is top notch that you can spend hours reading and viewing great photos.

Ok, I have a few questions about this page (sorry if this is off topic, but I am new). I found this website good and useful and I don't get how it doesn't have more topics. May I, and other new members feel free to open new topics (of course about palms and other tropicals) because I can see very old topics here (even on the first page?!) and I am a bit confused. Sorry. :)

Regards,
Milos

My PM on PalmTalk has been disabled. PalmPedia is now my new home. From this point onward I will be posting solely on PalmPedia.

Same here. :mad: I had some info in my PMs I needed to save. I have a good mind to remove all photos I have posted to that site.

My PM on PalmTalk has been disabled. PalmPedia is now my new home. From this point onward I will be posting solely on PalmPedia.

Axel, if you thought Dean was reading PMs at PT just imagine what he does here :)

Oh... and you thought you could hide from me here? :cool:

Just checking in. Palm talk shut off pms right in the middle of an important conversation with Colin Peters. I'm so pissed. Anyway, hopefully we can populate this forum. I'll go back to palm talk to point over here.

DeanO, is there a mobile version button?

Just checking in. Palm talk shut off pms right in the middle of an important conversation with Colin Peters. I'm so pissed. Anyway, hopefully we can populate this forum. I'll go back to palm talk to point over here.

DeanO, is there a mobile version button?

Hey Matty - I think these guys have a really cool completely plush mobile app - but it costs money. If enough traffic starts up, I will consider giving it a try. But right now I'm a little stressed for time - I have a lot of PMs to snoop on.

Same here. :mad: I had some info in my PMs I needed to save. I have a good mind to remove all photos I have posted to that site.

I had two other people write and threaten the same thing. I have emailed the BOD and told them how disastrous that would be - rendering thousands of posts completely useless.

You guys may think I would like PT to close and everyone come here. But that is not the case. And I am trying my best to save PT. But this forum was set up 8 years ago when a similar incident was occurring and I thought they were going to kill it then. I have kept it open mainly for the Encyclopedia, but also just in case.

I had two other people write and threaten the same thing. I have emailed the BOD and told them how disastrous that would be - rendering thousands of posts completely useless.

You guys may think I would like PT to close and everyone come here. But that is not the case. And I am trying my best to save PT. But this forum was set up 8 years ago when a similar incident was occurring and I thought they were going to kill it then. I have kept it open mainly for the Encyclopedia, but also just in case.

I think most of us understand Dean. To be honest, either way I'm glad that this forum is already set up for the transition and I don't think anyone suspects you of sabotaging PT to get more traffic here. I'm disappointed that the whole ordeal had to occur but it's nice that there is someone out there who just wants people to be able to discuss palms one way or another.

Axel,

You better keep your drapes closed.

Ha ha, sorry, didn't mean to offend you Dean, perhaps "snoop" was the wrong choice of words. You're welcome to read my PMs. Actually I heard this from many members, some wanting to contact me via E-mail because they were affraid you read the PMs. So I am just repeating what I heard.

The problem with the PM feature being turned off on PalmTalk is that moderators can't actually do any community management. Sure, they can warn people or turn threads off, but there's no real means to truly manage a community. So I agree with Dean that it spells the demise of PalmTalk.

Dean, I went ahead and cleaned out my photos to PT. PT cleaned out my PM's with no notice, I give them no notice. I gave it some thought, and it was the right thing for me to do. Sorry if it made a few threads useless.

Axel, if you thought Dean was reading PMs at PT just imagine what he does here :)

Oh... and you thought you could hide from me here? :cool:

Oh Crap, you are here. :)

Actually I was pretty bummed out when the PM feature got taken down because all your contact info is in my PM. I was hoping to come and visit again next time I am in the area. I've sent you a lot of PMs in the past and I always appreciate the advice.

So Len, I'll be passing a lot of stuff by you via PM before adding to the Wiki, I hope you don't mind.

You and Matty have been pretty tough on me, but now you guys feel like family. Dean was right.

Dean, I went ahead and cleaned out my photos to PT. PT cleaned out my PM's with no notice, I give them no notice. I gave it some thought, and it was the right thing for me to do. Sorry if it made a few threads useless.

Dang Scott, you don't waste any time. I was urged by many to at least wait a day to see what happens. At this point they've turned the pms back on. We'll see what they decide in the long run. At least we have some power over our forum

Oh Crap, you are here. :)

Actually I was pretty bummed out when the PM feature got taken down because all your contact info is in my PM. I was hoping to come and visit again next time I am in the area. I've sent you a lot of PMs in the past and I always appreciate the advice.

So Len, I'll be passing a lot of stuff by you via PM before adding to the Wiki, I hope you don't mind.

You and Matty have been pretty tough on me, but now you guys feel like family. Dean was right.

Yeah, it usually happens that way. :)

Stop by and you can take home a few of those Jacarandas with you.

Oh God, that palm encyclopedia is awesome! By the way Dean, is that your garden on 3D Panorama? Best I have seen in my life!

Regards,
Milos

I don't know which palmorama you were looking at, there are several. But if it's the one that starts with music (Welcome to the Jungle) - that is Jerry Andersen's - one of my favorite gardens. I might be doing mine here soon. The name should be on the URL or the link.