Queen Of Siam

ScotTi

Esteemed Member
16/04/08
Need advice. I planted my Q. o Siam on the front edge of my Croton garden. This seems to be one of the faster growing Crotons. I relocated the Stoplight that was behind it today as I could no longer see it. Should the QoS also be relocated to the back of the garden or just keep it cut back. I had cut it back about 6 weeks ago about a foot, but it has replaced that foot with a foot of new growth.

Attachments

• IMG_7557.jpg
    IMG_7557.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 142
Yes, it is a very fast grower and can also produce lots of air layers to keep it at the desired height. Also tolerates full sun but appreciates some shade. One of the ahrdiest crotons in the yard.

Phil, I have never done air layers, but this seems to be as good of time as any. I have read the how to's and will give it a try. The plant will need 8 airlayers to keep it in shape. Scott

I have 'Queen of Siam' here in Hawaii. For me it is slow! And mine is alot more colorful than the one in the photo presented. Mine is mostly yellow, orange with some pink in the older leaves. I wonder if I have a different plant? It could be my climate too. I rarely get above 85 F...maybe some varieties need more heat than my climate provides

You probably have the King of Siam but a pic would be nice to confirm it. It's dark here so a pic of my Kof S will have to wait. I've found the KofS to be much slower than the Queen which is one of the fastest growing crotons in the yard.

Two pics of King of Siam in a 1 gal pot; one pic of a KofS in the ground (needs more sun); and a big Queen of Siam for comparison.

Attachments

• DSCN3784.jpg
    DSCN3784.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 116
  • DSCN3785.jpg
    DSCN3785.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCN3786.jpg
    DSCN3786.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 111
  • DSCN3787.jpg
    DSCN3787.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 129
Here is a close up of the QoS showing the pink colors on the older leaves.

Attachments

• IMG_7638.jpg
    IMG_7638.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 109
Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to post photos from my iPad. At some point Ill post a link to our nursery that has all of our Croton varieties. My Whatever of Siam is much brighter and colorful...maybe it's all the fert I dump on them!

Andy, Maybe you have a Dreadlocks. I bumped up the Dreadlock thread for you to view with the Siams.

Need advice. Put on the airlayers 4 wks ago. I can see the white roots in the moss thru the wrap. Time to remove the airlayers now? The Airlayers are 1-2 ft tall.

Scott - what kind of 'wrap' did you use? Recall that roots do not like light. If the air layer is about the size of a small fist, it should have lots of nice white roots. If you cut them off too soon, you can usually save them by potting them up and putting them into a clear plastic bag (bag method) to keep the humidity at 100% while more roots develop. Just keep them out of sunlight so they do not cook. How about a pic of one air layer?

I used clear plastic wrap on the airlayers as I did not know not to. The moss balls are tennis ball size, I went ahead and removed the two that had filled the moss ball with roots.

Attachments

• IMG_7818.jpg
    IMG_7818.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_7815.jpg
    IMG_7815.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 108
Here's some pics taken this morning of some root balls on air layers also harvested this morning:
1. Top two are a Buddy - still attached and then removed; roots are a bit on the lean side but it should take.
2. Next two: Col. Gilbert Cutler and closeup of root ball
3. Next two - on top of each other; Sunray and close up of root ball
4. Final two: Pride of Winterhaven and long John Bender and close ups of root balls; the John B is a bit lean on roots so will get some extra TLC after potting up.

All are sitting in a bucket of water getting well-hydrated before potting up.
^%$#@! - almost out of potting soil and no desire to wait in long lines at big box stores this weekend.

Attachments

• DSCN3831.jpg
    DSCN3831.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCN3835.jpg
    DSCN3835.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCN3836.jpg
    DSCN3836.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCN3837.jpg
    DSCN3837.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 108
  • DSCN3838.jpg
    DSCN3838.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCN3839.jpg
    DSCN3839.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCN3840.jpg
    DSCN3840.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 113
  • DSCN3841.jpg
    DSCN3841.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 80
Thanks Phil! I think I removed the 2 a little to soon, as they had less roots than your lean root ball. I will wait on removing the other 5, and place the 2 in plastic bags for now.