Pheasant Tail

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Carol Graff mentioned this cultivar in her article, WHAT'S IN A NAME? in the March 2009 Croton Society Newsletter. Is anyone on this forum growing Pheasant Tail? Could someone possibly post a photo? :confused:

I had a pheasant tail a couple years ago but it croaked in one of the freezes we experienced. I remember it was a thin leaf croton.

I found this photo in my archives. Is this it?

DSCN4858.jpg

Nope, looks more like Interuptum (which freuqently does not interupt - at least for me - and is also cold sensitive. Too late tonight to take a pic of Majesticum.

First two pics of Majesticum in the yard today; original plant was a rooted cutting from John Bender. Leaves are approx. 18" long and can easily get upto 24". Recall that pic on p38 of Dr. Brown's book is mislabeled as Picturatum and that Majesticum is not in the Index. Picturatum leaves are about 9 - 12" long as in 3rd pic.

Attachments

• DSCN3719.jpg
    DSCN3719.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 111
  • DSCN3720.jpg
    DSCN3720.jpg
    334.4 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCN3721.jpg
    DSCN3721.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 117
Hey, this isn't only for Mike, I'm asking everyone what to do about this in the wiki. Is Pheasant's Tail one to delete? Does it exist? Is it a synonym for Majesticum? Anyone?:confused: I'm trying to improve the wiki. Thanks.

If Pheasant Tail has not been deleted, I would suggest leaving the following: "Pheasant Tail is identified as Majesticum in The Christian Papers."

The name Pheasant Tail is out there in some places. If you were a newbie coming to the Wiki to see if your Pheasant Tail was listed or looking for info - there would not be anything there. Hence, the "misnamed" cultivar perpetuates, they would be unaware to this info.

When I get a cultivar from someone, I go by the name given. Until evidence is given to its "original" or "generally accepted" name.

Les we forget, there are so many more lurkers visiting this forum and the Wiki then there are registered members.

Just my personal opinion :)

If Pheasant Tail has not been deleted, I would suggest leaving the following: "Pheasant Tail is identified as Majesticum in The Christian Papers."

The name Pheasant Tail is out there in some places. If you were a newbie coming to the Wiki to see if your Pheasant Tail was listed or looking for info - there would not be anything there. Hence, the "misnamed" cultivar perpetuates, they would be unaware to this info.

When I get a cultivar from someone, I go by the name given. Until evidence is given to its "original" or "generally accepted" name.

Les we forget, there are so many more lurkers visiting this forum and the Wiki then there are registered members.

Just my personal opinion :)

I agree with the Moose. Many Crotons have more than one name. The names should be cross referenced with original and aka's. Example: Are we going to throw out the very well known Mrs Iceton name and go only with Appleleaf? No way! We are a very small group and can not rewrite the history of names, but we can tell the history.