Crotons in Vero Beach

VeroKarl

10/02/15
I am finally getting around to posting some photos of my favorite crotons thriving here in Vero Beach. I be sharing several photos of featured plants from my garden. I hope you enjoy.

Here is Duncan Macaw growing in full sun in a relatively wet spot.
Ducan Macaw.jpg

Here is a plant still recovering from getting run over by a golf cart. It was twice the size at one point, but after a set back from scale, getting moved, and being run down, it is just now starting to look decent. This is Diane.
Diane.jpg

Another favorite that is not quite as slow growing as I expected, but what great color. This was one of my original "wish list" plants until I got it from Marie. It is Madame Butterfly. Not the greatest picture, it is much nicer than it looks.
Madame Butterfly.jpg

Here is a plant that really is not showcased well from the picture, because it is much brighter colored. It does not match any of the crotons on my master list, so I must have lost the tag. Let me know if someone can identify it.
Unknown.jpg

Here is a good sized Franklin Roosevelt (I got it as Johanna Coppinger, but pretty sure that was wrong). It is living happily under a massive live oak.
Franklin Roosevelt.jpg

Great looking Crotons Karl! Piecrust is and always be one of my top favorites.

The Duke it is ......They all look fabulous ....Got to come see them .......
Thanks for the confirmation on Duke of Windsor. I know crotons can be very variable and my Duke looked quite different from the photos I found. The gardens will really fill out once all of the cordyline logs that I recently put in start to push growth. Consistent heat and rain should help them take off.

Karl, this one kind of looks like Van Buren to me. Very nice looking plant!
I agree it does look similar to the photos of Van Buren. I have seen that one available before, but did not think I ever bought one. I had been assuming I got it from Marie, but it might be one of the earlier ones I got from Mark Peters. Most of the mature crotons in my garden either came from Marie or Mark. I need to try to get a better photo. Thanks for the id.

Went out and took a few more pictures. Some better than others. Here is Doris and again the photo does not do it justice. This is one of the most spectacular black and red crotons that I have seen.
Doris.jpg

This is Twist and Point, which is growing right next to Doris in a fairly sunny spot. This is a large, fast growing plant.
Twist and Point.jpg

This is Rudy Bachman. Located under a flowering tomato tree, it holds its color well even that it doesn't get much sun.
DSC02587.jpg

This is a plant that looks great now, but it was quite a battle to get the scale under control on this and nurse it back to health. I like the funky shape of the leaves. It is Golden Bell.
Golden Bell.jpg

I got this croton at a botanical garden and the name was hard to read. I believe it is Tan Wi Kiat, but since it was pretty much unreadable that is only a guess. The colors are brighter than they appear. This one was in a spot where it was not happy and got damaged by the lawn guys before I moved it. I thought it was dead, but it is coming back now. It is in full sun.
Tan Wi Kiat 2.jpg

I am watching the interesting variegated sport that appeared this Spring on my Compte de Germiny. If it amounts to anything, I will need to learn to air layer soon.
Compte de Germiny.jpg

Karl, your plants look great! I'm so glad Doris is doing so well for you. It's one of my favorites because of its amazing colors.

Will you be coming to Fairchild this weekend for the Spring Sale? I've been pulling crotons for the weekend and there will be a fair number of really uncommon ones (Playboy, Hoople Street, Nancy Reagan, Henry's Favorite, C&B, Three Toes, Davis 87, Flamingo, Fordii and In the Pink) There will be more, that's what I pulled today.

In the sunny dry area next to Applause, this Fishbone is finally starting to look good. It has taken 2 years for it to kick into gear and put on some solid growth.
Fishbone.jpg

Karl, your plants look great! I'm so glad Doris is doing so well for you. It's one of my favorites because of its amazing colors.

Will you be coming to Fairchild this weekend for the Spring Sale? I've been pulling crotons for the weekend and there will be a fair number of really uncommon ones (Playboy, Hoople Street, Nancy Reagan, Henry's Favorite, C&B, Three Toes, Davis 87, Flamingo, Fordii and In the Pink) There will be more, that's what I pulled today.
Hi Marie,
I am still trying to figure out the plans for this coming weekend. We had been planning to go to the plant sale at the USF Tampa Botanical Garden on Saturday, before our membership runs out. I had great luck last year with finding unusual plants. I was thinking about going down to Fairchild on Sunday, but don't know if anything will be left. I will let you know once I am sure what we decide.
Thanks,
Karl