Inquiring Mind

ScotTi

Esteemed Member
16/04/08
Here we have Mrs Iceton and Yellow Mrs Iceton for example. The two cultivars show similarty except for colors.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 99
Here we have Red Banana and Yellow Banana. But these two cultivars do not show similarity. Are there any other cultivars named for each other that show no similarity?

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 113
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 101
Scott - In all seriousness, have you ever seen a red banana and a regular yellow one in the supermarket? They look similar, but with the same amount of difference as the two varieties of Crotons. The red bananas are usually thicker and shorter with more pronounced edges. Both Red Banana and Yellow Banana Crotons have short, evenly rounded, leaves. The both have a prominent midrib - red in one case and yellow in the other. The Yellow Banana sports more often, but I think they were probably named because they both have a "banana" shape to them.

Some of the older colorful varieties seem to have sported a 'yellow and/or green' version, e.g., Sybil Griffin and the green/yellow version; Andreanum and the yellow/green version. ..and maybe a white version as per the current thread on Island Breeze.
...and for color comparison there's the colorful Franklin Roosevelt and the green and yellow Eleanor Roosevelt.

Many Hybridizers in the past had there Favorites like some liked Oval Leafs, Some skinny and narrow, for Example Rudy Bachman had all Broad leaf crotons and so on. In cross Pollinating these different varieties Colors change but the leaf shape stayed close to the same not exactly but close. The Icetons grow very large i saw a Yellow once had a 8in trunk very large Tree. The bananas same but then again the red one is sometimes misIdentified as Stripes. Theres really no Records on what is Crossed with what, But a sure way of finding out is by ther sports. Thats just a plant reverting back to one of its Primary Relatives as I call it :)

... Theres really no Records on what is Crossed with what, But a sure way of finding out is by ther sports. Thats just a plant reverting back to one of its Primary Relatives as I call it :)
Hmmm, interesting idea...
But if that were the case then Wilma should sport Mrs. Iceton and/or Petra...
And Petra should sport Fournieri and/or Norma...
And Norma should sport Bravo and/or Ernest de la Rue...
Anyone know if this ever happens?