Yes!

ScotTi

Esteemed Member
16/04/08
A little excitement for me today. I really have wanted to try some seedlings from Scherbertii. I had given up as it did not come into flower this fall when the other Ti started flowering. But what did I spy today? Now I have to wait a little longer to see if it will set seed.
Img_8200.jpg

Yes! Another great on that I noticed today that is going to flower soon. Picture is dark as the sun was going down, but Oahu Rainbow is putting out a flower stalk. Wouldn't it be nice if the timing of the two were to flower at the same time.
Img_8379.jpg

Scherbertii's flower stalk is giving the leaves a run for the money. Flower stalk is measuring in at 29.5" and still growing.
Img_8496.jpg

Mine is blooming at the moment also. I hope you get some seed set.
I try not to watch the flowering of this one to close. I usually walk by without stopping to take a look. I took a look yesterday to see what was happening and it looks as the buds will start opening in about a week. With such a large flower stalk I will see what the bees can do first. If the bees don't do the work I will step in on this one.

I noticed something a little strange ( first time I have seen it) yesterday on a couple of the other Ti plants that flowered in the fall and set fruit. Stay tuned!

These plants have decided to bud up again after setting fruit in nov.
Img_8628.jpg
pizap.com14229999096011.jpg

I am hoping that now my Scherbertii is flowering I will get a little Scherbertii to form on the flower stem. I see it a few times on some of the other Ti after flowering.
Img_8653.jpg
Img_8656.jpg

The Scherbertii is halfway thru flowering and as of today has had no fruit set. The Oahu Rainbow has not opened a flower yet, the buds just drop off. All hope is not lost just yet, as the weather is forecast to be warmer.

I just noticed a flower spike on my Scherbertii today. I don't think it has been there long and the flowers have not started opening yet. My Peter Buck has had a flower on it for months and I was patiently hoping to have it produce some fruit, but at this point I assume it is done and no fruit will be produced. I should probably cut back the old spike. I cut the majority of my cordylines way back in the fall to share with a few other enthusiasts. I now know better, and will be more careful when it comes to pruning them. A few of them have been very slow in coming back. The New Guinea Fan has not gotten the fan shape back yet after being cut back to about 5 inches over the summer. With the warm weather I can finally start fertilizing again and see if that will help give the plants a jump start.

For the Scherbertii I found a Black Knight in flower in the back area that had lots pollen for the cause. I used the standby paintbrush method and played busy bee for a time today.

Cut off the spent flower stalk on Scherbertii today. With my best efforts put forward in the pollination of the flowers, no development of fruit was noted.

The flowers are just opening on my Scherbertii, unfortunately I don't have any other cordylines in bloom at the moment so nothing to pollinate the flowers. All of the Hawaiian cuttings I have been putting in will need some time to put on size, so it will probably be at least another year before I have many that will be flowering size. I have gotten 60 new cultivars from Hawaii over the past week, so it will be exciting to see them pushing roots and leaves. I can't wait to start getting them in the garden.

The flowers are just opening on my Scherbertii, unfortunately I don't have any other cordylines in bloom at the moment so nothing to pollinate the flowers. All of the Hawaiian cuttings I have been putting in will need some time to put on size, so it will probably be at least another year before I have many that will be flowering size. I have gotten 60 new cultivars from Hawaii over the past week, so it will be exciting to see them pushing roots and leaves. I can't wait to start getting them in the garden.
We expect lots of pics. :gangnamstyle: