Yellow Bird or Juliette Delarue or ?

fawnridge

04/07/09
No one was sure about this one on Saturday. Everything you see comes from the same plant, multiple cuttings, even the green sport in the last picture.

yellow1.gif

yellow2.gif

yellow3.gif

yellow4.gif

Wow - I don't recall seeing that one Ricky. That was not hard to do since there was so much to look at. With all those crotonheads in attendance, you could not get a definitive ID? :p

Did we get a defintive I.D. on Ricky's plant. Is it Yellow Bird?

Does anyone have a picture of Juliette Delarue? Does anyone have one in their garden?

This croton was described by by Dr. Frank Brown in his first book on page 122 as: " Oak -leaf type, lobes spreading bright yellow, no red. Described in Dreer's Garden Calendar (Philadelphia) 1917. Very popular with nurserymen during the period when crotons flourished as hothouse plants in the North. This variety was developed by a French horticulurist from St. Remy-les-Chevreuse, near Paris. This establishment is still, incidentally, in existence."

I have a Juliette growing in the yard here, small, maybe 2' in height but I would agree that this plant in the picture is probably a Yellow Bird and not a J.D. I don't recall my Juliette having such flared ends of the leaf. And of course I go out to take a picture and then only find out that were missing our cord to download the pic's from the camera.:mad:

The cold didn't bother it. But it got too tall and blocked the windows. I chopped it back and tossed the cuttings in the trash because it was in December.