1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

Yellow Bird or Juliette Delarue or ?

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by fawnridge, Oct 18, 2009.

Please Help Support Our Generous Sponsors

1. fawnridge

fawnridge Well-Known Member

No one was sure about this one on Saturday. Everything you see comes from the same plant, multiple cuttings, even the green sport in the last picture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Wow - I don't recall seeing that one Ricky. That was not hard to do since there was so much to look at. With all those crotonheads in attendance, you could not get a definitive ID? :p

3. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

Not Juliette D. that's for sure.

4. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Did we get a defintive I.D. on Ricky's plant. Is it Yellow Bird?

Does anyone have a picture of Juliette Delarue? Does anyone have one in their garden?

This croton was described by by Dr. Frank Brown in his first book on page 122 as: " Oak -leaf type, lobes spreading bright yellow, no red. Described in Dreer's Garden Calendar (Philadelphia) 1917. Very popular with nurserymen during the period when crotons flourished as hothouse plants in the North. This variety was developed by a French horticulurist from St. Remy-les-Chevreuse, near Paris. This establishment is still, incidentally, in existence."

5. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

Ron, I've got that one too and have never gotten a positve ID. I'll have to check out the book's photo of Yellow Bird later.

6. fawnridge

Yes, it was identified as Yellow Bird by the first group through the garden last year and it looks like the photo in The Book.

7. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

I have a Juliette growing in the yard here, small, maybe 2' in height but I would agree that this plant in the picture is probably a Yellow Bird and not a J.D. I don't recall my Juliette having such flared ends of the leaf. And of course I go out to take a picture and then only find out that were missing our cord to download the pic's from the camera.:mad:

8. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Ricky - how is your Yellow Bird looking after the cool season? :rolleyes:

9. Crotonologist

Crotonologist Active Member

Kudos to Moose for resurrecting all these hanging threads....
    Other inquiring minds want to know too!
    Thanks Moose :)

10. fawnridge

The cold didn't bother it. But it got too tall and blocked the windows. I chopped it back and tossed the cuttings in the trash because it was in December.

11. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Ricky - how is it looking after the growing season ? :confused: How about an updated picture ? :eek: