Wiki photos 2016

annafl

Esteemed Member
So many of you kind people have requested that I start entering plants in the wiki again. So I will on a limited basis. I ask that if you have any non-constructive criticisms of my work, please contact me directly and privately. I always welcome constructive criticism and corrections, and we should definitely discuss those things here, to make sure we get correct information in the wiki. It should be a compilation of our best information, and sampling of what these plants can be. In the past, what's been upsetting to some, has been the entering of crotons that have not been shared, or that no longer exist. I will therefore include only those plants that we know have been shared with at least one other collector. Unfortunately, I am out of the South Florida loop, and I am not aware of many cultivars that are well-known and shared amongst those of you further south, so please make me aware. If I have not heard of a plant, I won't enter it unless there is confirmation from others that it is a true cultivar and should be entered. I should not be the only deciding person of what is entered. New seedlings and hybrids should be considered worthy of entering the wiki by a consensus, not only one person. The order of the photos I enter is largely a factor of the size of the photo and where it best fits on the page, not my personal preferences, to those that have asked about that. I prefer to enter only very good, focused photos, and not to enter photos that have been excessively photoshopped. What's been upsetting to me, is the lack of input of those who have the most information. Anyone who has any historical or interesting information on any of these plants or the hybridizers, I ask that you share it with us before it's completely lost. And please, when I ask for help of any type, it's because I really need it, so please don't ignore it. Let's make the wiki the best resource available on these beautiful plants we love! We need everyone to pitch in.

Good to have you back Anna... I for one will continue to share the best photos in my files for your edification and where the MASTER NAME CROTON PHOTO REFERENCE SITE (WIKI) may need a little “beefing-up”. Again, welcome back. :):):)

Ana, I'm so glad you're willing to do the wiki again for awhile. Here's one I've been wanting to get into the wiki. I posted a thread on it a couple of years ago. It's a spontaneous seedling that popped up in a pot here. It has been shared - a couple of people bought it here, Longwood Gardens in PA bought a couple for their collection and I took one to an auction last year. It's Tangerine Twist and likes a lot of sun to bring out the orange/pink colors and the leaf is nice and re-curved. It's a moderate grower.

Tangerine Twist 4.JPG
Tangerine Twist 5.JPG

Thanks Robert and Marie, we'll see how it goes. Marie, thanks for the information. Wow, Longwood Gardens! That's great to have your seedling in their collection! I will make a page for Tangerine Twist soon. Thanks!

Today's entries:

Herringbone- Bren Funaro
Herringbone-Jose Lopez
Madam Fernand Kohl- Tim O'Donnel
Rudy Bachmann- Kurt Decker's photo from Dan Keye's garden

* Ellen Rutherford and Helen Rutherford consolidated to the latter.

Hi Ana… Attached please see seven (07) photographs of Batic, AKA Bush on Fire, from my Costa Rican Croton files in an attempt to enhance selected categories in the WIKI IMAGE GALLERY.

The following are a couple of Batic Croton descriptions I found on internet for your evaluation and perhaps one or both could possibly be used in conjunction with the photos.

· Codiaeum variegatum 'Batik': The highly variable leaf colors are the strong point of the croton. This cultivar’s new leaves are green and highly splashed with yellow. Older leaves are mottled with various shades of maroon, reds, pinks, and oranges. Leaves are alternate to spiral in arrangement and linear in shape with an occasional slight twist to the leaves. As with many plants in the Euphorbia family, crotons have a very milky sap. Source: looking-at-plants.com

‘Batik’ is a dark-leafed, small, spreading variety. The star-shaped flowers are produced on long stalks but are insignificant. The brightly-hued foliage is the attraction. Batik’s leaves are linear with bluntly, rounded tips, arranged spirally around the stems. The new leaves emerge light green with streaks of yellow and mature to dark green overlaid with red and orange or yellow veins. Source: learn2grow.com

Attachments

• 01 BATIC - AKA BUSH ON FIRE.jpg
    01 BATIC - AKA BUSH ON FIRE.jpg
    543.4 KB · Views: 201
  • 02 BATIC AKA - BUSH ON FIRE.jpg
    02 BATIC AKA - BUSH ON FIRE.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 200
  • 03 BATIC - BUSH ON FIRE.jpg
    03 BATIC - BUSH ON FIRE.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 195
  • 04 BATIC - BUSH ON FIRE.jpg
    04 BATIC - BUSH ON FIRE.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 181
  • 05 BATIC - BUSH ON FIRE.jpg
    05 BATIC - BUSH ON FIRE.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 207
  • 06 BATIC AKA BUSH ON FIRE.jpg
    06 BATIC AKA BUSH ON FIRE.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 195
  • 07 BATIK - AKA BUSH ON FIRE.jpg
    07 BATIK - AKA BUSH ON FIRE.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 185
Today's entry:

Sailor's Delight- Photos by Tim O'Donnel

*there is a Helen Chait page with two images- in cyberspace- but for some reason it shows to me, but not in the wiki. I have contacted Dean to see what I'm doing wrong with that one. Just to let you know it's done, just not showing up.

Hi Ana,

For your review… here are a couple more of ‘EXCELLENT’ croton descriptions including a few additional ‘wannabe’ photos for the WIKI IMAGE GALLERY:

CODIAEUM variegatum 'Excellent'

Excellent’s leaves are lobed with an elongated central lobe, arranged spirally around the stems. The new leaves emerge light green with yellow veins and mature to green, red, and orange with yellow veins. The leaf color is progressively darker from green though orange to red down the stem. Mature crotons are "V" shaped.

Source: learn2grow.com

EXCELLENT: Large leathery leaves rounded at the bottom and slender at the tip. Greens, yellows, reds and oranges (one colour on the leaf and another on the spine and veins).

Source: http://www.hartsnursery.com.au/plants/croton.html

Attachments

• 01 EXCELLENT-TOP VIEW DETAIL.jpg
    01 EXCELLENT-TOP VIEW DETAIL.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 196
  • 02 EXCELLENT-FLUSH IN HEAVY SHADE.jpg
    02 EXCELLENT-FLUSH IN HEAVY SHADE.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 187
  • 03 EXCELLENT-SMALL COUNTRY NURSERY.jpg
    03 EXCELLENT-SMALL COUNTRY NURSERY.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 196
  • 04 EXCELLENT-PAIR OF NEW FLUSHES.jpg
    04 EXCELLENT-PAIR OF NEW FLUSHES.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 196
  • 05 EXCELLENT-AGLOW IN LATE AFTERNOON SUN.jpg
    05 EXCELLENT-AGLOW IN LATE AFTERNOON SUN.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 188
  • 06 EXCELLENT-LOCAL CONVENIENCE STORE.jpg
    06 EXCELLENT-LOCAL CONVENIENCE STORE.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 216
  • 07 EXCELLENT- ROBERTICO'S GARDEN UNDER CARAMBOLA TREE.jpg
    07 EXCELLENT- ROBERTICO'S GARDEN UNDER CARAMBOLA TREE.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 202
  • 08 EXCELLENT-ALWAYS BEWARE OF DOG.jpg
    08 EXCELLENT-ALWAYS BEWARE OF DOG.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 190
Where are the photos? Please, we need some varied photos and new cultivars for our wiki! I know there are beautiful crotons out there. Can we see them? Please?

Today's entries:

Rudy Bachmann- David King
Royal Flush- Robert Heredia (Robertico in Costa Rica)
Stoplight- "
Interruptum- "

Today's entry:

Bermuda Red- Robertico in Costa Rica
Bermuda Red- Marie Nock
Jackpot- Jeff Searle

Thanks to Robert Heredia and Marie Nock for their joint effort in getting this cultivar in the wiki!
Thanks also to Jeff Searle for finally posting a photo!