Wiki photos 2015

annafl

Esteemed Member
It's a new year and a new thread of Wiki photos! Let's fill it up, people:cool:! Get busy posting photos.

Today's entries:

Tommy Halgrim- Ron Kiefert
Irene Kingsley- Tim O'Donnel
Kiss and Tell- Ana Bowers
Tonya Hanks- Ana Bowers
Robert Halgrim- Ana Bowers
Congo- Ana Bowers
Compte de Castelaine- Mike Woolery
Van Buren-Ricky Ginsburg
Franklin D. Roosevelt-Ricky Ginsburg
Ram's Horn-Ricky Ginsburg

It's time to start posting your beautiful crotons, people! I'm happy to trade out a photo if you feel your plant has matured further or has better color, etc. Here's today's entries:

Yellow Stoplight- David King
Strawberry- David King
Wilma- Ron Kiefert
Thanksgiving- David King

Today's entries:

Information placed in 'Henry's Favorite' page:
This is a Henry Coppinger Hybrid. After his passing, Henry Coppinger's widow mentioned to Chris Mayhew (her nephew), that this croton was Henry's favorite creation. At that moment it was named Henry's Favorite.

Bimbo- David King
Dream Girl-David King
Dave Maclean 93- Lamar Sapp
Lucha- Karl Leonhardt

Last edited:
I also added information that Marie Nock gave us about the origin of two of the Sybil Griffin types:

About 14 years ago friends of ours bought a home and moved back to Miami (Emmylou). In their garden a wonderful croton was growing. They brought us cuttings and we tried to identify it John Bender had never seen it so we gave him a plant. Finally we scheduled a visit to meet with Robert Halgrim and Bob Alonso. We took a cutting and Mr. Halgrim immediately identified it as Sybil Griffin. We looked in Brown's book once again and with an ID we could then see our plant in the picture of Sybil Griffin even though we had tried in vain to match it with a picture before. The plant that we had at the time looks like Jeff's picture posted above and I believe the same as Chris Mayhew's picture in the wiki - I think he got his plant from us. It's a younger plant not a different plant.

A few years later, I was introduced to the second form of Sybil Griffin (like Judy's plant) and thought there must be some sort of mistake. Two very different plants each worthy of a name with the same name? Then in Hawaii a few years later we found the one that Ron photographed at the Ramble.

Today's entries:

Barack Obama- Marie Nock ***Does anyone have any information about this cultivar that should be entered in the wiki? History, hybridizer, etc.
Joseph Fondeur/Brillantissima, Zanzibar- Lamar Sapp
Red Mona Lisa- Mike Woolery (I think it was decided this is called Red instead of Orange?)
Don Quixote-Lamar Sapp- Changed out from last, less mature plant photo

New info entered:

Princess Eugenia- Prefers sun up until almost noon, then filtered in the afternoon.
***Didn't enter info on preferred light for Red Mona Lisa. Mike, by half and half do you mean 50% filtered or half day sun/ half day shade?

Last edited:
Today's entries:

Trinidad Interrupted Leaf- Mike Woolery and Marie Nock
MacKenzie- Mike Woolery- Photo by Ron Kiefert
Flame- "
Daybreak-"
Davis 87- "
Tommy Halgrim- "
Thomas Edison- "
Tan Wi Kiat- "
President Reagan-"
Confetti- "
Queen of Siam- "
Catch of the Day- "
Dave MacClean No. 93- "

Today's entries:

Queen of Siam- David King
Queen Elizabeth- David King
White Tapestry- Mike Woolery's plant, photo by Ron Kiefert

Very few photos put in the wiki this year! Come on, people, start taking photos!

yeah.png perhaps Mr. Searle could help out with some needed photos for Ana

Today's entry:

Helen Chait- Lamar Sapp and Tim O'Donnel

Also, there was some commentary added in each of these croton pages in the wiki regarding performing well in shady conditions:

Claude Lorraine
Mrs. Iceton
Yellow Iceton
Mosaic
Helen Chait
Geisha Girl
Nestor
Raphael
Voncilla Barley
Van Buren
Polychrome
Stained Glass
King of Siam
Robert Halgrim
Compte de Castelaine
General Lawrence
Rheedii
Father's Day
Nervia
Madame Butterfly
Princess Eugenia
Rubens
R.L. Farqhuar

I like the green&yellow just wondering if anyone else had it. The blotched has some potential also. I know they aren't the most exciting crotons in the world just nice examples of sporting new varieties.

Today's entries:

Christian's Landscape- Lamar Sapp
Cronstadt- Ana Bowers

I've added new comments crediting Marie Nock with bringing in cultivars Princess Eugenia from Guayaquil, Ecuador, and Eggfarm and Mackenzie from Hawaii. Ron Kiefert was also credited for 're-discovering' and making great strides to propagate and distribute Black Beauty to many collectors.

Yesterday's entries:

Michael Ferraro, a Button seedling- Mike Woolery
White Ann Rutherford- Ana Bowers

By the way, if any of you are wondering why I put the photos in the beginning, end or middle of the wiki pages- it has to do with the size of the photo you give me. I put the photo where it looks best in the page in relation to the other size photos already in there. Usually the landscape photos (horizontal) go at the top and the portrait photos (vertical) go at the end because the photos complement each other best that way.

Today's entries:

Some beautiful hybrids that have been created and shared by George Zammas are entered today

Ana Bowers- George Zammas hybrid
Tim O'Donnel- "
Shea Leigh-"
Gary Boyer-"

Richard Krukonis- Jeff Searle's garden, photo by Tim O'Donnel
Cutler #34- "
Daisy's Pride- "
Salmon- " Also, some comments added re: Chris Mayhew finding this seedling at the Davis Estate

Scarlet Fever- In George Zammas' garden

Today's entries:

Cousin Itt- Phil Stager
Nevilla- Phil Stager
Tristan- George Zammas

Hey, someone tell the Glocks that I now can take cell phone photos from my computer, put them in the wiki, and make them enlarge properly! I am such a computer whiz! Dean would be so proud of me. Anyway, Jim had told me he doesn't know how to post photos of their crotons, so he had said in the past that he could send me cell phone photos. I think Jeff has said that also. A caveat; if you do send me cell phone photos, please make sure they are in focus. I am noticing that many are out of focus, and this does not create good documentation of details. PM me for my email if you need it. Thanks!