which coccothrinax and sun requirements

annafl

Esteemed Member
DSC_1542.jpgDSC_1543.jpgDSC_1544.jpgDSC_1545.jpg

I recently bought this coccothrinax. Could you help me with which one it is? Also, would it do best in all-day full sun or part sun? Thanks!

Ana

Anna - the entire genus of Coccothrinax appreciates sun. As to an ID, I would say that it is probably a Coccothrinax barbadensis. Another problem with Coccothrinax is that they readily hybridize with other Coccothrinax and its cousin Zombia antillarum. This may be why you did not get much of a response. If you want to collect Coccothrinax, it is important to acquire them from a reliable source, tag and keep records of them. Many Coccothrinax look the same as juveniles. I cannot rule out your palm being a Coccothrinax argentata. They are a Florida native, extremely slow and have white undersides to the leaves. Being so slow, a palm of your size would be $$$$$$$$$. That is my rationale towards a C. barbadensis ID - which are one of the faster of the Coccothrinax species.

Wish I could be more definitive.

Anita - you may want to try a Coccothrinax spissa. They are pretty fast for a Coccothrinax and get a swollen trunk. Here is mine planted in the Spring of 2007 as a three gallon plant. It flowered for the first time a few weeks ago. You can see that it has a nice white contrasting color under the leaves.

It is a species native to the Dominican Republic but it seems pretty cold hardy and may do well in your area. It has never been affected by any cold event since it got planted, even the 2010 winter. It's location is in the coldest area of my garden.

Attachments

• Coccothrinax spissa 1.JPG
    Coccothrinax spissa 1.JPG
    337.8 KB · Views: 206
  • Coccothrinax spissa 2.JPG
    Coccothrinax spissa 2.JPG
    293.4 KB · Views: 218
  • Coccothrinax spissa 3.JPG
    Coccothrinax spissa 3.JPG
    334.2 KB · Views: 219
  • Coccothrinax spissa 4.JPG
    Coccothrinax spissa 4.JPG
    326 KB · Views: 220
  • Coccothrinax spissa 5.JPG
    Coccothrinax spissa 5.JPG
    330.3 KB · Views: 219
  • Coccothrinax spissa 6.JPG
    Coccothrinax spissa 6.JPG
    335.7 KB · Views: 221
  • Coccothrinax spissa 7.JPG
    Coccothrinax spissa 7.JPG
    322.4 KB · Views: 206
Cocothrinax argentata is remarkably hardy. We have one that's been subjected to many nights in the high 20's with no complaints. However, down around 25, they get scorched pretty bad, especially with frost. In contrast, C. barbadensis is a cold weather wimp. It starts spotting below 40. Old leaves begin dying after a temp near freezing. I don't think it'll take a subfreezing event well at all. I suspect at 28 its totally defoliated, and at 25, it's probalby just a bean pole. I suspect by Jan 15, you'll be able to tell if its a "barbie".