Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Moose, May 24, 2011.
Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.
Finally got a good drenching yesterday....
It topped out at 95F for the sixth time this year and it was the 13th day above 94F. The NWS reported that it was the second warmest spring on record. Too bad we can't bottle up some of this heat for the coming winter. All of this said, the rain stayed away again yesterday. The more the NWS and local media assures us that much better rain chances are coming, the more certain I am that it will miss me altogether.
As I suspected, tomorrow's local rain chances went from 50 to 30%. Beware of another hot and dry, mite infested weekend.
Pouring here in Largo, too bad it's bone dry by my home in St. Pete!!
Got a brief deluge last night. Getting it two days in a row has been a challenge. It's been so dry, my Beautyberry has spider mites!
Dry dry dry AGAIN. WTH mother nature?
The "good" rain chances did as expected today and brought nothing. For the record, we've now hit 95F 7 times and today was the eight day we've topped out at 94F. Local forecasters are hinting at this weekend's rain chances being overblown. I expect nothing but heat and more mites.
Your really starting to crack me up! Lol
.43" early this morning. It's a start.
whoooheee!!! 2" last night and early this am - time to pour a libation in gratitude to the local rain gods.
Nada here yet and the last batch of rain was scared to cross the Gandy or Howard Frankland Bridges.
... and another 1 1/2 " this evening! (while mumbling incantation to local rain gods...)
I just rolled up my hose for the first time this year. Hope I didn't jinx it. Too much of a PITA to roll up a 100' hose every day so the tripping hazard remained until today.
If you feel bored Bren, come on over. I'll be watering frantically again tomorow. Aside from a 10 minute shower last night, I've been rain free .
Ray, Sounds like you got a 5 minute longer shower than I have received. I get to hear the thunder and watch the light shows, but I want the wet stuff.
From the look of the radar, you may not have to water today after all. The bad for me is there are currently thousands of termites swarming outside!
I'm finally getting some consistent rain. I got about an 1/2 inch yesterday. Come on rainy season! Everything is perking up that survived the cold and drought. Good thing croton are relatively drought tolerant. I lost a few however this past dry season, but the ones I could keep water on survived.
It's been raining for 5 hours. It rained hard for about 1/2 hour but has been steady ever since.
Finally after 4 days the rain found the moose land this morning. It has been falling all around me as close to a 1/4 mile away. Broward was crying earlier this year when we got some limited showers and they were passed by. Broward County now seems to be getting the Lion's Share of all the precipitation this Summer.
The house and nursery is now getting some rain every other day or so. IT's ABOUT TIME!!!
I've gotten rain every day. Currently pouring here. Still haven't had to unroll that hose. Ahhh.
I've had measurable rain once in the last 5 days about 15 miles from Brenda. I've never seen a daily 60-70% rain chance do this. I watered last night.
Wow! We had two storms one 1 7/8" and the other 2 1/8". Many plants blown over with the wind gusts. A grand total of 4". And it's not completely over yet. I won't be watering any time soon. Hopefully the drought will end for all. Chris
It rain most of the afternoon today, with winds reported at 60-65mph! Just like 3 weeks ago when we got the hail. No real damage, but I did get 1.8" of rain.
Moose land is about 5 miles SE of Chris' place. Often he has reported a heavy shower while none fell at my place. Happily yesterday was not the case and we received about the same quantity of precipitation. This was my best rain day so far for 2011. Actually, more rain visited my garden yesterday than any given 7 day period so far this year.
The mushroom and related fungii should be popping up all over the mulch today.
Looks as the rains have finally returned to my area. Sat 7/2 received .25" and yesterday another .27". Drop the rain chance to 30% in the forcast and it rains here almost everytime.
Agreed Scott. I love the 30% rain chances because my expectations are lowered. When you hear "promises" for wideparead rain and the long range forecast is littered with 50 and 70% rain chances, I know the someone who won't see rain is me.
Got great rain yesterday. A system came through 5:00 am today. Another coming through right now. The crotons are sooooo loving this!
4 inches since yesterday afternoon.
Same here Ray, total deluge!No end in sight either.
Make that 6" as of 3PM
Almost 3" yesterday and now a little over 1" today. I need to get out there and cut the swamp.
Got the swamp cut.
Scott - How high has the lake come up since the rains arrived ?
Hey Randy - you posted a photo with your lake way down. How much has yours come up ?
Ron, The lake is full again. If we get another day like yesterday it will be in the lawn for a few hours.
I hope u use a riding mower Scott or is that how you keep your svelt figure?
Bren. I used a push mower for the last 5 yrs or so. I went back to a rider this year. The old body is not what it use to be.
Oh good. Preserve that body for retirement! As a bonus, it's easier to ride over all the moccasins and gators now.
Another 1.03" today. At least the mud tracks have been washed off of the grass. Wishing for a few sunny dry days now.
I don't mean to bitch about the rain situation but ... it is really. really dry here. At this time of year, rain is often associated with the leading edges of cold fronts. I would rather have dry than cold. We actually have some easterly winds that can produce some showers the last couple of days. This is not common in the winter months.
The forecast today is 40% chance of a shower in the mid afternoon. It would be great to see at least .25" of rain today. Got a sprinkle yesterday morning, never reached the plants under the canopy.
Separate names with a comma.