1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

Where is the rain ???

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Moose, May 24, 2011.

Please Help Support Our Generous Sponsors

1. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

It is getting difficult to keep my crotons hydrated. If three days passes with no supplemental irrigation, my droopy new leaf flushes wither and give up. Yesterday I found some spider mites under some large leaf cultivars that stay relatively shaded most of the day. The ones in heavier sun have not been affected. I think I will place a sprinkler head on the end of a hose and place it directly under the crotons with spider mites to see if that will remedy the situation until the rains arrive. ;)

Does anyone know how long a leaf will stay on a plant ? I have observeded an increase in leaf drop in the last month. It seems that it is escalting in frequency. Is this typical due to new flushes of leaves or due to lack of water? Or perhaps a combination of both? :confused:

Just wishing for a nice 1/2" of rain to fall. ;)

2. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

I'm a watering fool too right now. By summer's end, drip irrigation will be completed here.

3. junglegal

junglegal Esteemed Member

I'm hauling the hose around nightly too. I'm with Ray, time for drip irrigation. Pretty sure this is not out of the norm though. Isn't May generally the driest? I though rainy season doesn't begin until mid June.

4. Crazy for Crotons

April and November are the driest months (seasonal transitions) but May is warmer and pretty dry too. This is the month where spider mites do their worst damage.

5. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

My last water bill was more than double my electric bill. :mad:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, Drip irrigation. Isn't that what the Glocks are using to grow their monsters ??? :eek:

6. Crazy for Crotons

The answer to your last question is YES.

7. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Still experiencing leaf drop on my crotons. Got a little sprinkle three days ago, it didn't even dampen the mulch :(. The cost of a drip irrigation system is starting to look more reasonable. :eek:

8. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Esteemed Member

Even established plants are suffering.Once you couple the driest winter on record along with a delayed start to the rainy season it really makes growing plants suffer badly.

9. junglegal

Just venting. So dry here in st pete. Last few days, strong hot winds. Can't keep up with watering. Noticed my gen pagent covered in spider mite webs today. This sucks. All these teasers around and nothing here. Misery loves company.

10. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

I found spider mite webs covering some plants in containers tucked into the understory that showed no evidence four days ago. :mad: When they show up, it is quick. I never had this problem last year but the rains came sooner. Plus there were at least some sprinkles in April & May 2010.

There were some fast moving sporadic showers coming off the ocean last night. I got lucky, one passed over my garden. Only about 1/4 " of rain but I will accept what the big guy gives me for now. :)

11. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Let me go cut my sprinklers on.

12. Crazy for Crotons

Man does Clinostigma attract spider mites or what?!

13. junglegal

Pinch me. I hope I am not jinxing myself but there are red cells headed for the Tampa area right now. :eek: Watch they will split and completely bypass my place.

14. Crazy for Crotons

A major deluge. I couldn't see while driving.

15. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Bren - that looks like a pretty large system. It looks like relief is on its way. The Fort Myers area may get some as well. :)

I am glad that somebody may get wet. ;)

16. palmisland

palmisland Well-Known Member

Not here:mad:

17. waykoolplantz

waykoolplantz Active Member

maybe a rain dance at Randys ??

18. junglegal

I've been blessed today. Spider mites be damned :)

19. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

1/2" here today in the great south Pinellas desert.

20. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

3/4" here on the NW side of the bay. :)

21. Crazy for Crotons

A solid 1" here. Back to the scorching, uncharacteristic mid 90's again for the balance of the week.

22. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

I am trusting the weather predictions for rain here this weekend. I sprinkled a 50 lb. bag of 7-4-5 fertilizer for acid loving plants around all my crotons yesterday. My anticipation is that it will get washed in and start to dissolve. When the heavy rains come, this should make the mineral salts readily available to the plants. :)

23. junglegal

Time to start belly aching in St. Pete again :rolleyes::mad:

24. Bullwinkle

After the worst dry season for the century we are now having one of the latest start to our rainy season on record.Rainy season usually starts May 20.We are now two weeks late and next week is supposed to be dry as a bone.I will hold of any fertilization until I feel the raindrops.

25. Bullwinkle

Good luck and keep them well watered,rain looks like at least 1 week away at the soonest.I have a bag ready to go but all my big leaf varieties are struggling as sprinklers cannot keep up with the dry windy conditions,even my stoplight which has been in the ground for 6 years is now wilting heavily.

26. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

:D

Attached Files:

• 020.jpg
      020.jpg
      File size:
      228.5 KB
      Views:
    • 021.jpg
      021.jpg
      File size:
      340.5 KB
      Views:
  27. palmisland

Still nothing. :mad:

28. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Dry as a bone here too! Just came back yesterday from the lower Keyes ( and 33 nice Yellowtail snapper later) and I was told their in a record drought from 80 years ago. Parched!!!

29. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Dark clouds all around this morning. Really praying. Anything less than 1/2" would be a tease but welcome. A good old fashion gully washer is what is needed! :rolleyes:

30. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

The frogs are going to sing tonite, as the rain returned here this evening with .42". Better than nothing,

31. Crazy for Crotons

Hopefully no tornadic winds accompanied because the radar looked very, very red. I got a little bit of wind but not a single drop of rain fell.

32. junglegal

Is this disturbance in the gulf suppose to be a rain maker?

33. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

As a child I remember the last days of school. Almost like clock work the rains arrived at the very end of May or first few days of June. I would walk along sidewalks collecting huge earthworms that were coming to the surface because the ground was so saturated. Then I would go fishing, using the worms as bait! :p

I just dropped my teenage son off at school. Today is his last day. The rains have yet to find my garden. I have been waiting for the rains so I could watch my crotons put on a heavy growth spurt. :(

In my 51 years as a native Floridian, my memory does not recall such a lack of our monsoonal rains. :mad:

34. Bullwinkle

I think we might be facing some of pretty tough water restrictions if the rains dont start soon.Most of the canals up here are really low.The cities need the money and I would not be shocked to have 1 day a week watering with heavy enforcement before too long.

35. Crazy for Crotons

1 day a week if you're lucky. Two years ago there was a ban on sprinkler watering altogether here and only hand watering was permitted before 8AM or after 6PM. We don't have it nearly as badly here as you do and we've been on 2 day a week restrictions for the past 10 years.

36. junglegal

The last time I remember the rainy season starting late was the year of wilma and charlie. I left for WI for the 4th of july week.
    Last night I watered for 1.5 hrs with the hose. Today you'd never know. I am too tired tonight so everything is on it's own. No rain in sight in these parts yet again. I think I should get into cacti. Lol

37. junglegal

Ha! Every time I bitch I seem to be rewarded! Currently raining pretty hard. Thank goodness.

38. palmisland

Still holding at nada here:( , although it did get a little cloudier.

39. Crazy for Crotons

Missed me by a few miles last night but it's coming.

40. junglegal

Looks promising for you on radar Ray. I am getting the winds but I think I will be bypassed today.