1. Please enjoy this new off-topic forum. It is open to everyone. Common sense will prevail as to what can be discussed. If any discussion becomes too controversial or offensive to some, it will be moved to the private "Talk Story" forum.

If you wish to read the more provocative topics in the private forum, please click on the "Contact Us" link in the lower right corner of any page and request admission.

(You may dismiss this notice permanently by clicking on the small "X" - upper right)
    Dismiss Notice

Where did everybody go?

Discussion in 'INTERESTING, INSIGHTFUL, PROVOCATIVE, EDUCATIONAL' started by Stan, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

I waited to ask this. But,its easy to look like a bloghog when you are the only one posting on a board with over 600 members. I see new names almost every day sign up.
    I thought by now,I would have seen half of Hawaii and every nook of San Diego.
    Well,lets change the name to Tropihayward? I didn't think that would fly.

2. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

Stan,
    It is hard to get people to post - very hard. Unfortunately the web has become a place where people think you go and just get free info. No need to contribute - just read the efforts of everyone else.

I wish it was different, but that is human nature. All that can be done is just keep contributing. And don't judge by what replies you get - but instead look at the number of people who read what you are posting. I would guess that only about 1 in 30-40 bother to login, reply, or heaven forbid - start their own topic.

But I for one am grateful and read all your contributions. :MJ:

3. walrus

walrus New Member

4. walrus

walrus New Member

had to look it up, but i moved from a 7a to a climate zone 9a/b, for over 10 yrs. my love of plants was becoming a memory, now i'm in the position to grow almost anything i like, outside, instead of hiding plants in the house for a long winter, i think that this is what i'm supposed to be doing at this point in my life, and i'm so happy to be able to have this life back, i have an assortment of seedlings growing, and gathering palms when and where i can, and plant them as soon as i get them, growing papayas again, don't particularly like them, but like to grow them, everyone else likes them, growing up in ca. and hi. spoils a person, so now s. texas is just fine! trying to finish painting my deck, so i can erect a small greenhouse for next winter, to get more plants going, didn't freeze this winter, so spring has sprung, so to everyone, have a great summer,all for now!

5. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Stan - there are many lurkers on this site that never post. I assure you that all your posts do not go unnoticed by many interested plant folks. There are also neophytes that are here to learn and are too intimidated to post questions or comments. Rarely a month goes by that I do not encounter a lurker who informs me that they appreciate my posts.

6. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Thanks Dean,Moose. I see things around town that pass for the tropical look. Soon,get them posted.
    Walrus- I hear you. That Papaya? Never seen one here in near 60 years. The mild last few years have been way off the charts- for us.

7. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Hahhh....I'm now posting after only 15 minutes has gone by. But I'm here, and read it all.

8. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

You must be very happy, rekindling your passion for plants.

9. walrus

walrus New Member

well, the live and let live theory was doing just fine, but the gophers broke the rules, so i bought a trap today, sorry, i WAS hugging a tree! been planting different plants, pots and all, so i lost 2 sunflowers, unpotted, how do they know where they're going, they're headed for my dahlia's now, i've got a thing for dahlia's, i'll be out there tonight,shovel in hand! my papaya seedlings are almost ready to plant, saw 2 papaya's in town a month ago that had mature fruit on them, wintered well, might do them in pots, transplanting Ti plants tomorrow, i'm leaving them in pots!

10. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Cold here!. Rains that took me by surprise. About .90 on an inch from 2 am to 4am.
    This year has been plenty like that. Not those light rains that fall for 2-3 days as usual. Its,move in,drop the water,move out and sunny. We had an average rainy season- the natives are beautiful. Its that it was rain here,and not snow up high.
    The next few days will go up by 20f.