When Death Looks Nice - Unique Philodendron

Dypsisdean

Administrator
Staff member
28/09/07
This is a different and beautiful Philodendron that I have not seen elsewhere. Whereas many palms and aroids will have red new leaves, this one has some very nice older red leaves that persist for many months, giving it a rather unique look.
IMG_1424PT.jpg IMG_1425PT.jpg

Yes, I did have it growing there but it never flourished. But I don't think it had to do with hardiness. A lot of the Philos don't really take to the dry air. They need the humidity to keep their aerial roots healthy. And I had a lot of shade, close to the ocean, and used overhead watering - and still most of these more exotic aroids struggled. :(

Yes, I did have it growing there but it never flourished. But I don't think it had to do with hardiness. A lot of the Philos don't really take to the dry air. They need the humidity to keep their aerial roots healthy. And I had a lot of shade, close to the ocean, and used overhead watering - and still most of these more exotic aroids struggled. :(
Thanks for the info. I'm always looking for new aroids that will do well in our arid climate.

Monstera is a god send to those who like the tropical look. Even in the bay area it can have the big leaves,ripe fruit. Doesn't climb too high...good enough at 10' or so for most here. Pothos wont grow in California,A related Epipremnum does,but still doesn't come close to Monstera or Pothos in a tropical climate.
I notice that vining large leafed Philodendrons are not even sold anymore. Easier to find the self heading "Congo" then the good old fashioned Arrow leafed Philo's.