1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

What's your air layer criteria?

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Crazy for Crotons, Apr 11, 2011.

Please Help Support Our Generous Sponsors

1. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

What does a plant have to look like before you slap on an air layer? Of course, the 5 foot tall plant with three leaves on top is a candidate. I'm talking about the less obvious situations where the plant is leggy but maybe only 2 feet tall. Is it a good idea to air layer a plant that defoliated but is coming back with new growth only on top? Should you wait a season for the plant to regain its strength?

2. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Esteemed Member

Great questions,I am pretty new to airlayering so I am putting on several each week and getting some experience.I tried the more common varieties first to get the hang of it.I had about a 80% success ratio but the time was not right (January).I have since put on a couple more on some harder to find varieties.I will attach some pics in a minute.

3. Bullwinkle

Frank Brown with 2 layers.After layering tree will be around 4 ft tall.It is currently around 6 ft tall.I took the layers from the back.

Attached Files:

4. Bullwinkle

Unknown tall croton,currently around 10ft tall.I am making two "standard" layers each around 5 ft tall from this one.An ID would be great if anyone can identify.The leaves are petty big (16" or so)

Attached Files:

5. Bullwinkle

Finally a super slow Satan.Has grown only 2ft in 5 years.I put two layers on this one.

Attached Files:

6. fawnridge

fawnridge Well-Known Member

Any plant that starts to block a pathway gets cut back. Recently, I've been air-layering the larger Crotons that get in the way. Just moved a huge piece of Thomas Edison into a 3-gallon can from an airlayer. Almost 36" tall in the can.

7. Melbourne Mike

Melbourne Mike Member

air layer early because you are always 6 weeks late to prune for size and shape when you take them off.

8. Jerry@TreeZoo

Jerry@TreeZoo Well-Known Member

Bullwinkle,

Where do you get those coot air layer cans?

9. Bullwinkle

www.manhattanbonsai.com/ http://...or trees and 10 of the small pots (crotons) .

10. Crazy for Crotons

Some plants are more reluctant than others to put out new leaf heads below the air layer. Last year, I air layered a General Lawrence and below the foil was one measly head that never developed well. As a result, the original "weakened" plant did not survive the past winter. I gave Phil Stager the "new" plant but do not know if it survived. If I'd not put on an air layer, it may have had a better chance. This brings me to the question. You've got a leggy plant with one primary stem. Do you put on an air layer half way up so that when removed later, only the new growth is left on the original plant. It didn't seem risky in the past but after the "General Lawrence" incident, I'm less likely to risk the original plant until it has regained some strength.

11. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

RIP for the Gen lawrence. I suspect the original would have survived or at least had a better chance. Sin gle trunk plants do not get the top air-layered unless I know it has a strong in-ground root system (but then I should not have let it get so tall and leggy - pinch, pinch, pinch..) At any rate, I've got about 30 air layers cooking - most will be in the 3 gal size container.

12. Crazy for Crotons

35 air layers completed this weekend. Hopefully a few will be ready by the May meeting.

13. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Nice Ray, I started this past weekend myself. I'm thinking about buying some stock in Reynolds Aluminum.:)

14. Crazy for Crotons

Hey Jeff, for some "hints" on what to air layer, please see my post under "Post your trades and wishlist" section. ;)

15. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Depends if it is my plant or not ... :p