What is the perfect Temperature?

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Today it was very hot and humid. My truck in the shade was 89 F. Without any rain, I figured my crotons would be suffereing. It made me contemplate, what is the perfect temperature that crotons would just love?

High humidity is great, warm temps are great too - producing lush growth. Many large leaved crotons are flushing very soft new leaves. Without water, these leaves sometimes abort in the high heat. With lower temperatures, these new "soft" leaves seem to do better than with high heat. In other words, if we go several days without rain or supplemental irrigation along with the high temps, high humidity, some plants have trouble hardening off the new leaves. Many times plants have been watered in the morning only to see them wilting in the afternoon heat. The rain really perks them up. During our dry spell with low humidity and brisk breezes, I had even more difficultly keeping the younger plants hydrated.

That is why I am curious what the members experiences are regarding the "perfect" temperature for crotons. Watching

High humidity is great, warm temps are great too - producing lush growth. Many large leaved crotons are flushing very soft new leaves. Without water, these leaves sometimes abort in the high heat. With lower temperatures, these new "soft" leaves seem to do better than with high heat. In other words, if we go several days without rain or supplemental irrigation along with the high temps, high humidity, some plants have trouble hardening off the new leaves. Many times plants with new flushes have been watered in the morning only to see them wilting in the afternoon heat. The rain really perks them up. During our dry spell with low humidity and brisk breezes, I had even more difficultly keeping the younger plants hydrated.

That is why I am curious what the members experiences are regarding the "perfect" temperature for crotons.