What is that?

Discussion in 'PALM TREES - WHERE TROPICAL STARTS' started by Stan, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

The palm,not the bamboo- That's B. oldhamii. Is that a Sabal palm??
    IMG_1700S.jpg

2. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

Sorry Stan - can't see enough of the trunk, petiole and backsides of the leaves to know. Plus I'm not that good at my palmate IDs.

Where was it? That will help. And do I see any silver/blue on the backsides of the leaflets? But from what I can see, Sabal would be a reasonable guess.

3. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Its near downtown. I was focused on the Bamboo. When I downloaded the photo that's when I noticed it didn't seem to be a Washingtonia that I figured it was when I drove by. I've never seen a Sabal planted in Hayward before. They even had a pair of King palms..not the usual old folks home landscaping around here.

4. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Stan - I gotta go with Brahea edulis from what I can see ... :oops:

Dean is right, a definitive ID not easy with your photo.

5. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

I like that guess Moose as I do not recognize it from the photo as a Sabal. It has been many years since my visit to California and seeing Brahea's, but I do not recall the threads on the leaves of Brahea that show in Stan's photo. Hopefully those that have more knowledge on Brahea will chime in here.

6. Pete in Paradise Hills

Pete in Paradise Hills New Member

not an Edulis. too bluish and the leaves too close together and upright. I'm going to say it's a Sabal, possibly Tamaulipas or Dominguensis

7. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

I think Pete is on to it. The bluish tint is different. How it ended up there is a mystery. Looks to be thriving.
    Here's a Brahea taken the same day across the street.
    IMG_1695.JPG