What is that?

Stan

17/04/14
The palm,not the bamboo- That's B. oldhamii. Is that a Sabal palm??
IMG_1700S.jpg

Sorry Stan - can't see enough of the trunk, petiole and backsides of the leaves to know. Plus I'm not that good at my palmate IDs.

Where was it? That will help. And do I see any silver/blue on the backsides of the leaflets? But from what I can see, Sabal would be a reasonable guess.

Its near downtown. I was focused on the Bamboo. When I downloaded the photo that's when I noticed it didn't seem to be a Washingtonia that I figured it was when I drove by. I've never seen a Sabal planted in Hayward before. They even had a pair of King palms..not the usual old folks home landscaping around here.

Stan - I gotta go with Brahea edulis from what I can see ... :oops:

Dean is right, a definitive ID not easy with your photo.
I like that guess Moose as I do not recognize it from the photo as a Sabal. It has been many years since my visit to California and seeing Brahea's, but I do not recall the threads on the leaves of Brahea that show in Stan's photo. Hopefully those that have more knowledge on Brahea will chime in here.

I think Pete is on to it. The bluish tint is different. How it ended up there is a mystery. Looks to be thriving.
Here's a Brahea taken the same day across the street.
IMG_1695.JPG