1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

what a difference a year makes

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by pocomo, Jan 12, 2011.

Please Help Support Our Generous Sponsors

1. pocomo

pocomo Active Member

This croton was one of the nicest in the yard. The cassia, trunk in background, died over last winter ( the sulfer butterflies continually ate it and the cold finished it off) leaving no shade. Then my neighbor must of weed and feeded the croton nearly to death. Any way I would like to know the name of it.Second pic is now. Tried to shade it with spanish moss ( thought maybe it would shade lower leaves) but didn't seem to work. Ya think. lol . I really liked that plant. I do have other pieces but none as nice.
    Chris

Attached Files:

2. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Chris - I do not know what the name of that croton from last year. Your current photo is known as the cultivar Deadlocks. :p Just kidding, perhaps someone with a superior croton eye would care to chime in.

Maybe the Croton Guru would like to attempt an ID other than "unnamed hybrid" ? :rolleyes:

3. Croton Guru

Croton Guru Banned

LOL not me thats your job :rolleyes: Im sure you will find a colorful name for it.

4. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Chris,

That's pretty unfortunate to see the decline this croton went through. My guess would be that if this plant was in some more shade, it would probably be an awesome looking plant. As far as an id goes, maybe Kentucky? But I'm very unsure on my guess. But thankfully you have some peices of it growing and the plant won't be lost.
    Jeff

5. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Chris - Did the pieces root? Are there any mature leaves that may aid with an ID? :confused:

Please post some photos if you can. I am curious as to what was the croton that met its demise. :(

6. pocomo

pocomo Active Member

Actually I made no more cuttings but I will now. Amazingly the plant has come back and my newest effort was to plant a little cassia or senna at its base, you can see it in the bottom right, hoping in not too much time it will give the croton the shade it deserves.

Attached Files:

7. Jeff Searle

Come on Chris, get some instant shade on that poor thing, and throw a heap of fertilizer on it now, the rains will do it wonders. And treat it as if it's the last known plant......get some cuttings going!

Jeff

8. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

I've seen it and it is slowly coming back. Perhaps 20-20-20 soluble fertilizer every 14 days will help crank it up? :rolleyes:

9. Jeff Searle

Chris, do I need to come down and personally fertilize it myself?

10. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

With that many stems, I'd throw at least 2 air layers on even this late in the season.

11. pocomo

pocomo Active Member

Well it was looking better but now it's got the scale and I'm working on getting rid of that. Ahhhhh! All in time. Chris