Wes Nock, first time seen on this forum

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Moose, Jan 2, 2011.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Here is a Wes Nock I got from Marie Nock. It is named after Marie's Father-in-law (Steve's Dad). Marie found it growing in Wes' garden. BTW Wes is 100 years old! :eek:

I first saw this and then was kicking myself for not getting one. I was limited on my budget and went to Marie to get specific cultivars. I went back a week later and got it. The colors are more striking in person. From my experience, you sometimes pass on a croton to find later that your opportunity has passed - which you regret. I love this croton and can not wait to get it in the ground in the spring!!! :cool:

Attached Files:

2. Central Floridave

Central Floridave Active Member

Are those fronds really that big? From the photos they look 3 feet long.

3. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Nice one Ron!

4. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Optical illussion, about 1/2 that. :)

5. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Was this a seedling that came up in his yard?

6. Marie Nock

Marie Nock Well-Known Member

Jeff,
    It's difficult to tell - a tight planting of old crotons that was there when they bought the house over 25 years ago. I brought leaves of this one to your place when you hosted the Croton Society meeting a couple of years ago. No one could ID it so I put Wes Nock on it until a better ID comes along.

7. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

The new leaves are going monster ... :eek:

8. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Here are the new large leaves. Ready to flush new leaves soon. :) This cultivar is not slow. :cool:

Attached Files:

9. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

This is quickly becoming one of my favorite cultivars. It has outstanding color and its position in the garden receives relatively strong light. You can see that it is beginning to develope branching on its own without pinching in the third photo.

On a sad note, a couple of weeks back I learned of the passing of Wes Nock this recent Spring. I never met the man but have heard that he was a highly spirited and talented individual. Going out and purchasing a Nissan 350Z in his mid 90's as evidence. Wes also enjoyed spending countless hours playing the organ at the Plymouth Congregational Church in Coconut Grove.

My belated condolences to the Nock family.

Attached Files: