Welcome to the Members of the SFPS

Dypsisdean

Administrator
Staff member
28/09/07
Feel free to experiment with this forum to see if it can fill the needs of the SFPS. For now, you do not need to register in order to post.

This forum utilizes special software that will automatically resize most photos you wish to upload --- Four at a time. This is a very useful and time saving feature, as most forums require custom resizing before uploading that confuses many would be posters. And then you need to upload one at a time. Give it a try if you wish.

Below is an example of some uploaded photos. Be sure to click on the thumbnails for the larger size.

You can post any questions you may have here.

Attachments

• DSC_0054.jpg
    DSC_0054.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC_0041.jpg
    DSC_0041.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_0124.jpg
    DSC_0124.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC_0143.jpg
    DSC_0143.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 3
Below is an example of some uploaded photos. Be sure to click on the thumbnails for the larger size.

You can post any questions you may have here.

Fantastic image quality Dean! The site is very powerful. Are the instructions for uploading photos easy for new users to find?

I am imagining multple areas used by different palm societies. I would think these groups would more readily direct their membership to a forum set up specifically for them as opposed to sending them to a forum used solely by another plant society. Would an SFPS calendar be just as easy to create?

100_2897.jpg
[/IMG]
100_2895-1.jpg
100_2890-1.jpg
100_2883.jpg

Tim,

There are several ways to upload photos. The two main ways are:

1) to upload directly from your computer, as I did, resulting in the thumbnails. In this case the photos are contained on the forum server and will always be available. They will be resized automatically, and can be uploaded four at a time.

2) or as you have done, by linking to a photo that is hosted elsewhere. In this case the photo will retain the aspects of the hosted photo, and will continue to reside on the server of the hosting site. Should the person discontinue or change these photos on the hosting site, the photos will be lost to the forum.

Like anything on the computer, it is easy if you know how, and difficult if you don't. :D On other forums a short tutorial is sometimes available. This could be done here if people have difficulties. FYI --- I put together this video tutorial on uploading photos to the Online Encyclopedia you may find interesting. It illustrates some more capabilities of the site. It is a little outdated, as the graphics have changed somewhat, but still applicable to the Wiki-side of the site.
TUTORIAL

To answer your question on the thumbnails, there is an option to "Manage Attachments" when you post. Look under "Additional Options" when posting. With a little trial and error, you should be able to figure it out. You first upload them, then submit your post after you have them uploaded. I believe it is set for a max of four per post right now.

One other thing. The large sizes you were seeing are probably a result of a setting in the browser you are using. Most browsers have an option to resize photos to fit your screen. If this is not checked, then the photos will be displayed in their actual size. In any case, if a link is used to a photo larger than a person's screen size, the software can not do anything with it since the photo is on another server. But, as mentioned, your browser can.