1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

Waterfall - anyone growing this cultivar

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Moose, Aug 1, 2010.

Please Help Support Our Generous Sponsors

1. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Waterfall.jpg I got this from Jeff Searle. :cool: I have never heard anyone mention this cultivar "Waterfall" on this forum. It is not mentioned in either of Dr. Frank Brown's books as well. Is anyone else growing this one? It has been a real slow for me. ;)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  2. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

It looks a lot like Chief which has a good deal of variability from leaf to leaf; hard to tell from pic about leaf size; it also resembles Hot & Steamy which has bigger leaves than Chief. Nice plant!

3. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

Here's a few pics to confuse matters a bit... L to R
    1. Gen Marshall
    2. Chief
    3. Chief
    4. Hot and Steamy - thought I lost this one but it's coming back slowly

Attached Files:

4. koki

koki Active Member

Before it died, my General Marshall was slow growing with a low, spreading growth habit. The consistant pink tones were very attractive.

5. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Ron,

Your plant is really looking great now. The colors are amazing! I don't remember where exactly I first got this croton. But when the tour of "experts" came through a few years ago, nobody said they could put a name on it. So I did.:) if someone comes along and can convince me it's an old named variety, I would be glad to change it to the older existing name. I am 100% sure it's not Chief, but is very close to Hot and Steamy.

Maybe that's why we need a croton tour through the jungle soon.....

6. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

What are your plans this weekend. I would love to watch you and Rob make airlayers! LOL :p

Ron. :cool:

7. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Here is a better photo with better lighting of Waterfall. Jeff and I were looking very hard at some Hot & Steamy cultivars today and we agree that the coloring may be quite simular. Mine does not have as large of leaves, but that may be a growing condition. How fast is Hot & Steamy as mine is very slow. We may need to revisit this one in a year and see what "Waterfall" looks like then? :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

8. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Waterfall 4.jpg Waterfall 5.jpg Here are some photos I took this afternoon. I am not sure this is Hot and Steamy. I think it is distinct cultivar = Waterfall.

What do you think? :rolleyes:

9. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

I think it would look really nice in my garden :D

10. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

This was one I wished could have been resolved ID-wise with Bob Alonso and Mark at the Glocks Holiday Social. I think we overloaded the guys as it was. We are going to have to persuade Mark and Bob to come to another meeting like the Glock's! :cool:

11. junglegal

junglegal Esteemed Member

I've added the page Waterfall & the pics to the WIKI. Should we get a different ID later, the page can be moved. In the meantime, you can post notes on the discussion tab.

12. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Waterfall.jpg Updated photo of Waterfall

13. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Beautiful plant, and great photos, Ron! The lighting is perfect. Great colors on this beauty as well. Thanks for posting!:)