W.C. Fields

fawnridge

04/07/09
History: I found this growing in the Hollywood Hills section of Ft. Lauderdale at least six years ago. It was on the corner of a vacant house in lots of sun. I took around a dozen cuttings. The three here are the only survivors and that's after being in a pot for four years.

They've been in the ground for almost two years now and appear stable. I've posted pictures of this one several times over the years and no one has come up with a name. Sadly, Randy and I went back a few weeks ago and searched the neighborhood, but the plant is gone. I've never seen it in anyone's collection and it's not in The Book. Because of the characteristic bulb at the end of the leaf, I've named this W.C. Fields in honor of his bulbous nose.

The new leaves come out green and yellow, almost identical to Yellow Bird and with that same bulbous end, but as they age, you get lots of pink and orange. Still small leaves, as you can see from my hand, but these leaves are three times larger than they were last year and the original plant had 12" leaves, not including the petiole.

Attachments

• fields2.jpg
    fields2.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 72
  • fields1.jpg
    fields1.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 68
Phil - I think it's going to speed up, now that it's in much more sun and in the ground. Might have to sacrifice a white chicken and let its blood fertilize this one!

History: I found this growing in the Hollywood Hills section of Ft. Lauderdale at least six years ago. It was on the corner of a vacant house in lots of sun. I took around a dozen cuttings. The three here are the only survivors and that's after being in a pot for four years.

They've been in the ground for almost two years now and appear stable. I've posted pictures of this one several times over the years and no one has come up with a name. Sadly, Randy and I went back a few weeks ago and searched the neighborhood, but the plant is gone. I've never seen it in anyone's collection and it's not in The Book. Because of the characteristic bulb at the end of the leaf, I've named this W.C. Fields in honor of his bulbous nose.

The new leaves come out green and yellow, almost identical to Yellow Bird and with that same bulbous end, but as they age, you get lots of pink and orange. Still small leaves, as you can see from my hand, but these leaves are three times larger than they were last year and the original plant had 12" leaves, not including the petiole.

"Ahhhhh yes, I never drink water - fish fornucate in it!"
W.C. Fields