Voncilla Barley

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Voncilla Barely in situated in a shady situation. It will receive more sunlight as the sun returns towards its northerly position. :)

Attachments

• Voncilla Barley.jpg
    Voncilla Barley.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 123
How many Voncilla Barleys are there??? Check out the picture of the one in the WIKI. It was supplied by Pocomo. I have seen two very different ones! Please correct me If I'm wrong but, I think Pocomo has the real deal. It is a beauty with lots of pink.

How many Voncilla Barleys are there??? Check out the picture of the one in the WIKI. It was supplied by Pocomo. I have seen two very different ones! Please correct me If I'm wrong but, I think Pocomo has the real deal. It is a beauty with lots of pink.

I got mine from a very reliable source. It may be where Chris got his or the source got it from Chris. That I am unsure of that but - they do trade very often. My plant had the awesome pink colors. Being a well rooted cutting, I stepped it up and kept it in shade to promote maximum growth. Doing that caused this croton to "fall out of color". It was planted in an area where it will remain pretty shaded until April. I expect that it will color up to its full potential by then. I also have Baron Rothschild which Voncilla Barley closley resembles. Voncilla Barley is a superior looking cultivar in my opinion.

We often view pictures of crotons when they are displayed at their best. There are many crotons in Moose Land that never get their photos posted because they do not look nearly as good as they should. Remember that a photo is a capturing of the look of a plant at that point in time.

I am very confident that this croton is in fact Voncilla Barley, the real deal. :)

I'm just as confused as ever; I'm aware of one that resembles Baron Rothchild and it is called Voncilla Barley by a reliable source. Then there is Pocomo's Voncilla Barley;It is different. He obtained his from a reliable source too. He entered one in the auction at Jeff's, with what someone thought was a high starting bid. Pocomo said " It is worth it". In my opinion, it was reasonable because, the one he has is hard to come by.
Moose, I thought the picture of yours looked different from either of the previously mentioned ones. I'm glad to hear you have "The Real Deal".

The leaf shape and color of BR and VB are the very similar. VB has more speckled blotching while BR has distinct veining and no blotching or speckling. The Glocks and Jeff have excellent specimens of both.

Here are some close up photos of the older leaves taken this morning.

Attachments

• Voncilla Barley 6.jpg
    Voncilla Barley 6.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 111
  • Voncilla Barley 7.jpg
    Voncilla Barley 7.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 118
  • Voncilla Barley 4.jpg
    Voncilla Barley 4.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 111
  • Voncilla Barley 5.jpg
    Voncilla Barley 5.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 106
Alas, the Moose was wrong on this one. Marie Nock stopped by and said it is Bermuda Red. Here are some updated shots of the same plant taken this afternoon.

Works alright for me, Marie gave me a Voncilla Barley for my Birthday. :cool:

Attachments

• Bermuda Red A.JPG
    Bermuda Red A.JPG
    366.8 KB · Views: 119
  • Bermuda Red B.JPG
    Bermuda Red B.JPG
    367.7 KB · Views: 105