1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

USF plant sale

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by ScotTi, Oct 1, 2009.

Please Help Support Our Generous Sponsors

1. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

The USF Fall Plant Sale is coming up Oct 10 & 11. Will the Croton Society be there selling Crotons?

2. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

Yes we will Scott. From what Lee told me, there will be quite a nice selection.

3. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Thanks Ray, I posted the question before I saw it in Jeffs thread. I have lots of room for Crotons and I will be there.

4. fawnridge

fawnridge Well-Known Member

I wonder if we could get FAU to sponsor a plant sale?

5. Jerry@TreeZoo

Jerry@TreeZoo Well-Known Member

The Tropical Flowering Tree Society does a sale at Boca City Hall in November. They are always looking for good vendors. The TFTS has a small garden at FAU and tried to do their sale there one year but it never got off the ground because of logistics and volunteer shortages.

The Boca sale usually has Gardinos, Bloomin Good and Tradewinds as vendors so you get an idea who is there. A Croton vendor might make out pretty good.

6. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Jerry - that looks like a promising venue. I would definitely consider volunteering for that event. ;)

7. Croton Bitch

Croton Bitch Member

Just a reminder about the upcoming Croton Fiesta sale at USF,
    The USF Fall Sale: Saturday, October 10th from 10AM—4 PM and Sunday, October 11th from 10AM—3PM. University of South Florida Botanical Gardens, 4202 E. Fowler Ave., Tampa Campus. This will be the 12th Croton Fall Fiesta event for the society. Hope to see you there!
    Connie

8. Sihara

Sihara Active Member

Yeah, I'm definitely planning on it! Connie, I got the sweeeetest crotons on Friday down at Searles - but the more crotons ya get, the more ya want. Addictive is what they are!

9. Borgy230

Borgy230 Active Member

who else plans on going there?

10. junglegal

junglegal Esteemed Member

I'm headed there Saturday am

11. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Andrea and I will be comming over. Were sleeping at the the Glocks house in Ft. Myers. Rob, (Borgy 230) is also coming along.

We will all be bringing some plants over for the Croton Society's booth. I look forward to seeing everyone.

Jeff

12. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

I am bummed. Due to logistics, I am unable to attend. :( Got too many crotons that need to get into the ground because of Jeff Searle feeding my new vice. Please post what cultivars where available and what crotonheads showed up. :rolleyes:

Really wish I could be there - I will not miss the meeting in December!

Best regards to all my crotonheads in Tampa. :)

Ron. ;)

13. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Update.....

Andrea and I along with Rob, just returned today from the sale. A trip well worth attending. We arrived at 9:00am on saturday to find Lee, Connie and a couple of others finishing up the last touches to the booth. It was filled with many 1 gallon and some 3 gallon size plants with very reasonable prices on them. Many thanks for all their hard work. Actually as we were leaving there, we ran ito Ray and his wife just arriving.

I found more crotons than I thought that would make good additions to my collection. I picked up the floowing,

Cronstadt
    Rubyi
    Elinor Fisher
    a couple of unknown hybrids
    Madam Butterfly
    Philip Geduldig
    Earl of Derby
    Elaine

It was well worth the drive to see some of the other croton people coming by. I also was able to bring a few cuttings home of Red Quill, Moth, Duke of Windsor and Veitchii.

14. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Here are pics of my haul from USF 1) Stoplight 2) Franklin Roosevelt 3) Queen of Siam 4) Green and Gold

Attached Files:

• 246.jpg
      246.jpg
      File size:
      232.3 KB
      Views:
    • 251.jpg
      251.jpg
      File size:
      229 KB
      Views:
    • 248.jpg
      248.jpg
      File size:
      245.6 KB
      Views:
    • 254.jpg
      254.jpg
      File size:
      138 KB
      Views:
  15. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Also picked up these 1) Davis Hybrid 2) Reliance

Attached Files:

• 252.jpg
      252.jpg
      File size:
      197.1 KB
      Views:
    • 250.jpg
      250.jpg
      File size:
      200.7 KB
      Views:
  16. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Scott - nice acquisitions! :cool: I am already regretting not being able to go. Some great bargains seemed to be had by all. ;)

What did others on this forum get??? :confused:

Ron. :)

17. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Ron, I am regretting I did not get more. I had Rams Horn in my hands and did not buy it. Still kicking myself for that stupid mistake. Phase 1 of my new Croton garden is almost finished. I will start plans for Phase 2.

18. junglegal

junglegal Esteemed Member

Hey Scott, glad to see you didn't lose your gardening spirit. When we saw you a few months back after the palm society meeting, you seemed as though you were tiring of the hobby & about ready to hang it up! Crotons are addicting for me too!

19. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

Nice plants Scott. There were still some Ram Horns left so if you attend the Dec. 5 meeting, they should still be available. BTW, I get burned out on this stuff too.

20. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

What I needed was color I guess. The palms needed some splash so a redo was in order. A Ti garden and a Croton garden fit the bill. Added 26 Crotons var. and up to about 30 Ti, no new palms have been added, but I did take a quick look at them at the USF sale and to say hello to Frank who got me started with the palms.

21. Sihara

Sihara Active Member

Scott, that's a nice Reliant. I got one of them, too, with a really nice branching to it. Great pix - really like the Green & Gold in your previous post.

Palms look so good among crotons and tis. The colors contrast nicely with green fronds. But do you ever have trouble with Tis in the summer? I've had them really lose color, worse with the Flamingo, Ti Red, and Gold-Edge. I know this is the CROTON forum, but was wondering what can be done in the hotter months?

22. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Sihara, The Reliant was the first one I grabbed, the Green & Gold should be planted at the USF campus for the school colors. As for the Ti, I have learned to put the pot where I want to plant them, wait a few weeks and see how they handle the amount of sun they receive. The Ti garden is located on the east side of my yard with a high palm canopy so they receive only late day sun. I have found that Lemon & Lime and Kiwi Tis like no direct sun. Rule of thumb I follow for Tis now: Darker color leaves more sun/ lighter colors bright light only.