1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

Update on Anthocleista grandiflora

Discussion in 'COMPANION PLANTS - TROPICAL & SUBTROPICAL' started by Dypsisdean, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

Eleven months ago I took some "cuttings" of Anthocleista and documented the procedure and hopes HERE.

I thought you all might like to see an update. The first pic is one of the "cuttings" freshly planted. The next two are the plant as it is doing today.

I hear this plant will grow in Southern California.

Attached Files:

• AnGrNew.jpg
      AnGrNew.jpg
      File size:
      215 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      353.1 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      309 KB
      Views:
  2. ariscott

ariscott Active Member

Yes, I think Peter has one... Very impressive.

Regards, Ari :)

3. Dypsisdean

Peter is the one that told me about this plant when he visited a few years ago. He was looking for seed. By chance, my neighbor down the street had one growing. This is from some suckers of hers.

BTW - Peter also told me about Amherstia, and a few others.

4. ariscott

ariscott Active Member

Well, now you just need some Browneopsis ucayana then... Or do you have those as well??

5. Dypsisdean

Ari,

That's funny. I was going to mention those. No, I don't have any yet. But I think I located where to get one. It's just a long way, and I don't know the guy.

Peter also told me I needed a Mangosteen. So i did get one of those, but I have never tasted the fruit. From what I heard, i better buy some, cuz I'll never see the fruit on my little guy. :)

6. ariscott

ariscott Active Member

It can take 8-12 years for Mangosteen to fruit from seeds . You have to have a taste... Some people thinks they are not as good as people make them to be, but I think they are to die for.

I have one in my shadehouse... I haven't planted it yet, as it needs shade while young... So, I am growing some bananas & papayas around where I am going to plant it so I can remove them later on.

Get some seeds of Browneopsis from a guy in Ecuador. Apparently, he is pretty good...

7. Dypsisdean

Ever since I turned 50 my patience for planting seed has been getting less and less.

Hopefully I can find a nice 2 meter sapling over here. Then I'll have a chance to see it flower someday. :)

8. Peter

Peter Member

Sorry, I just came across this thread today. Nice Dean! We just got some seed in and there are some coming up, although it's way early days yet.

9. Dypsisdean

Peter,

I hope you saw the thread on my Amherstia as well. As mentioned, that was purchased as a result of your urging too.

10. Dypsisdean

And now, seven months after the pics above, here is another pic of this guy. It has really taken off in the last two months.

Attached Files:

11. Peter

Peter Member

Nice Dean! I managed to germinate a few seeds finally and have a few tiny seedlings-hopefully I can nurse them up to planting size.

12. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Peter,

May I suggest you find a real good nurseryman in South Florida where you can send your seedlings to and have him grow them out and up, in a much quicker time. Maybe work out a small deal with him for his labor.:D

Jeff

13. ariscott

ariscott Active Member

Me too.. thanks Peter :) :). I can't wait... they are growing strong from such tiny little seeds..

14. Dypsisdean

Peter knows I have a large mature plant just down the road, from where I got my suckers.

I hope he could chime in and tell me if knows yet what to look for, and when to look for flowers and/or seed pods. And I would also be curious to know at what size they start producing seed. I would think with the premium care my plant receives, I could have some seeds to share soon. But I have no idea.