1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

Unknown Croton....any clues?

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Jeff Searle, Oct 29, 2009.

Please Help Support Our Generous Sponsors

1. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

This is a plant that has been growing on the side of my house for several years. Recently when Bob Alonzo stopped by, I asked him on his thoughts and he was not sure of a name. It's planted in shade for the entire day, so next spring I will do a couple of cuttings and then plant those in a different spot with more light, to see if I can get more changes in colors. Any thoughts on a name?

Jeff

Attached Files:

2. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

Several years ago, the Croton Scoiety had a load of 1 gal plants that we out of color and were appropriately called 'Ugly' for lack of a better name. With a bit of light, they color up nicely. I'll post some pics later. ....but no good name to get directly to the point.

3. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

...and now some pics of 'Ugly'
    First two are of same plant
    Third one is showing new leaves on plant that it is now getting lots of direct sun after removal of a Sabal causiarum due to Texas palm decline about 5 weeks ago. Older leaves are dull.
    Fourth one is grown primarily in shade

Attached Files:

4. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Jeff - it's been over a year since you started this thread. Did you establish new plants in more light? Has the coloring changed? :eek:

5. Jeff Searle

Ron,

Good question. I made 2 air layers this past summer, one went to Judy, so we could ask her this weekend on how it's doing. The other....I'm struggling on thinking what happened to it. I must of planted it, but can't remember where,da! I need to look into it.

6. Judy Glock

Judy Glock Active Member

Jeff, is this the croton that you named Class Act? If so, it is planted in my front yard and you will see it this weekend

Judy

7. Jeff Searle

Yes, that's it. I hope it's been doing well for you. Now I have to go find mine somewhere in the yard.:(

8. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

I do not recall Judy pointing this one out in her garden at the Croton Society Holiday Social. Judy do you have a picture? ;)

9. Jeff Searle

Ron,

Judy told me yesterday that Bob Alonzo and Mark both looked at this croton and said they had no clue on it's origin. Her plant looked really good, better than mine here at the house.

10. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

Maybe it's a seedling.

11. Jeff Searle

It's very possible.

12. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Maybe we need to see a photo of Judy's. Judy how does it look since the meeting? Is it holding up well with your cold events? :confused:

Confuse Jim, put a camera instead of a Coors Light in his hand. Tell him to go snap a picture for us. LOL :p

13. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Ana - since Jeff has remained photo posting challenged, I think this may be the mother plant of Class Act. Does not appear we have been doing anything wrong with our plants, it may just not be a vigorous grower. A good candidate for an intimate area that needs some color but not one that would quickly out grow it. :)

Judy, got a photo of your'ins. :p

14. Judy Glock

Judy Glock Active Member

Do not have a photo, but it has been an extremely slow grower both in Ft. Myers and the Keys!