two seeds emerging

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by kwmarko, Jul 7, 2014.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. kwmarko

kwmarko Active Member

Yesterday I noticed an older flower spike, which at the time of bloom I had no male flowers to pollenate it with. Then a while back noticed there was one seed pod onthe very end...the last flower on that particular Captain Gilbert Cutler. Well, yesterday I notice two seedlings that have sprouted right there on the flower spike..... unusual? I ask... seems so to me. Any comments would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Esteemed Member

???Maybe others have seen this but I have not!!!

3. pocomo

pocomo Active Member

I would expect that to be the old flower spike acting like a stem and producing a new growth from it. It doesn't have the shape of a seedlings growth and appears to have the leaf shape of new growth. I've had that happen before.

4. kwtimo

kwtimo Well-Known Member

I saw these all over a Dreadlocks the other day. As you can see, there is a range of sizes of development from the old flower spikes. CAM00677.jpg CAM00676.jpg CAM00678.jpg

5. Jerry Shilling

Jerry Shilling Well-Known Member

I know this plant. :)

6. Emmylou

Emmylou Active Member

Dreadlocks seedlings on bloom spike.JPG I have also found several seedlings on old bloom spikes on Dreadlocks. Never seen it on anything else. Marnie

7. kurt decker

kurt decker Well-Known Member

not seedlings, more like kikis on an orchid spike. george zammas told me his wizard of oz produced a plantlet this way, he grew it out, and it turned out to be red wizard.

8. kwtimo

kwtimo Well-Known Member

Now I'm looking for this particular development on crotons. I found two more cultivars today: Chief and Tiger Eye. CAM00684.jpg CAM00686.jpg