1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

Turkey's Foot?

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Moose, Oct 3, 2009.

Please Help Support Our Generous Sponsors

1. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

I acquired this one as " Turkey's Foot". Recently I was told that "Turkey Foot" is not very common and I probably did not have a true cultivar. If this is not "Turkey's Foot" then what could it possibly be? :rolleyes: *****:confused:

Attached Files:

2. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

Ron, the real Turkey foot is actually somewhat rare. I've only seen it in photos.

The plant in your photo resembles both Exiter and Geisha Girl.

3. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

The following pics are what I've been calling Turkey Foot. Leaves are about 9" long and add another inch or two for the petiole or stem; approx 9" across from side lobe tip to tip. It is not a common croton.

Attached Files:

4. Crazy for Crotons

Phil, isn't that what we were calling Craigii Supreme?

5. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Zoinks!!! - Whatever it is called, the leaf shape is outstanding. :cool: That gem would be an outstanding addition to any collection. Phil - how fast is this cultivar and how much sun is needed? :confused: It looks as if it would do well in the sun. :rolleyes:

Ron.

6. keith

keith Active Member

I think Lee said the name of that plant is Quirko.

7. Croton1

Croton1 Active Member

Quirko is the name that is used in Australia for a Croton that is similar or it may be the same plant. They also have something they are calling Turkey Foot that has a lot less color and much less veining.
    We need to remember that they have quite a few Crotons that we do not have in the States and they are naming based on what they are exposed to...as we are. "Looks like" is always a safe way to name a Croton, unless we know for sure.

In either case, it is a great looking Croton, with an exceptional Oak Leaf!

8. Phil Stager

Whatever one choses to call it, it is not a fast grower. It is growing in part sun with a Corot to the right of it. I can get one or at most two small air layers per year off of it. No idea where I got it either.

9. keith

keith Active Member

Phil, it grows pretty fast for me. I got my plant from you, this year I got 3 or 4
    air-layers off my plant, and I could still get cuttings off it now. I have my plant
    in more light than yours, maybe that is the trick. But by far it is the coolest plant
    I have gotten from you.

10. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Keith - are any of those airlayers making it to the USF sale this weekend??? :eek:

11. Phil Stager

Keith-

and it is also fighting the neighbor's &^%$#@! punk tree and some bamboo; lots of roots on the top 3" of the soil; just ransplanted some other crotons in the area and same problem with unwanted roots. Good to read it is a fast grower for you.

12. Crazy for Crotons

Quirko sounds quirky to me Keith.

13. keith

keith Active Member

Moose Knuckle I wont be at the sale this weekend, but if your at the next croton
    meeting, I will bring you a cutting. [ gave away spare air-layers already ]

14. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Update on whatever I had growing that was sold to me as "Turkey's Foot"

It has matured since my original post, does anyone care to make an I.D. now? :(

Looked good a week after the cold weather and just started to melt down day by day. Maybe something may pop out from the roots. Probably not. :eek:

Attached Files:

15. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Is anyone growing the true Turkey's Foot out there? :rolleyes: Keith, did yours make it?

16. Crazy for Crotons

I've only seen photos of the real Turkey Foot.

17. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Hmmm, the photo I posted ended up being a Geisha Girl. It has made a very slow comeback.

I bumped this thread since we have many new participants on the forum. Is anyone growing Turkey Foot ? :confused:

Does anyone have a photo to see it's true form ? :confused:

Keith - is Three Toes a sport from Turkey Foot ? :confused:

18. keith

keith Active Member

Three Toes and Pretty Bird are hybrids produced by Steve W. in Ft. Myers. He is no longer into crotons.