Triangle Palm seedling- tough as leather. So far.

Discussion in 'PALM TREES - WHERE TROPICAL STARTS' started by Stan, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

I ordered one weeks ago..I received it bare root. Maybe 8" or so. Well,I knew it would be a waste to grow it in a pot of peaty soils and perlite for long. So into a hot spot it went in ground after a month rerooting. Its taken the heat,occasional watering. Its gotten some color back too. I've never seen a Triangle outdoors in the bay area in person,but photos show..they seem to do good. Must have taken 2007 and 2013 freezes.
    So,this might be a good palm to take a chance on.

2. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

I think if you find it one of your hotter spots, and it doesn't stay too wet for too long, I don't see why it won't grow for you.

3. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Where is the picture of the above described palm Stan?

4. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Oop missed this post Moose...soon.

5. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

It was bare root and a little yellow from the trip via ebay from soucal. It didn't seem to like the peaty potting soil even if diluted with perlite. That's when I went for it..planted it in a blindly bright side of a white house that gets all afternoon sun. It likes it.
    IMG_1089.jpg

6. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

Does anyone else think that isn't "blue/gray" enough for your typical triangle??? But it's a very nice looking palm. Stan, could you have a Triangle hybrid?

7. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

I thought the same from one I started from seed when it was small, but as it grew it changed and now looks as a Triangle should.

8. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Just to add...When it went in,it was pretty much just a long healthy tap root. Not much side branches to the roots. I would think that is going to help drought tolerance in the future. If it survives winters.