To Buy or Not To Buy - Magnificent - that is...

rpebinger

Big box in the area sporting some nice 3 gallon cultivars. Beyond those that I have seen in neighbors yards - Magnificent stood out among the crowd.

How common are these on a "Petra" commonplace to ________ only in the wildest collectors dreams?

Any input on the cultivars ability to come back from the 'burnt to the ground' commonplace seen around my patio is also appreciated.

Best Regards,

Rich

Rich, From my experience with growing Magnificent, they do not like a sunny location. Winter 09-10 I had 2 plantings "burnt to the ground", they did not make a come back. Purchased another in 2010 and planted in a sheltered location. This one has survived the cold of 2010-11 with a few leaves and new leaf buds are now pushing.

Mine did well last Fall in almost full sun here in south Louisiana, but I could see where some of the pink was starting to burn...
This photo was taken Nov 4 2010 shortly after coming indoors for a cold spell.

Scott, are you referring to summer sun tolerance or winter cold tolerance?

Attachments

• Magnificent 2010-11-04b.jpg
    Magnificent 2010-11-04b.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 143
Mine did well last Fall in almost full sun here in south Louisiana, but I could see where some of the pink was starting to burn...
This photo was taken Nov 4 2010 shortly after coming indoors for a cold spell.

Scott, are you referring to summer sun tolerance or winter cold tolerance?

I should have said "no summer sun tolerance" here in central FL.

Magnificent is not one of the hardier crotons. Mine defoliated inside of a garage during a cold snap this winter. It doesn't take freezing conditions to set this one back.

Ray, Here is a photo of my Magnificent taken this weekend. I think it did really good in its sheltered location.

Attachments

• 298.jpg
    298.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 117
I've got a couple in the yard as well and can say they are some of the least cold tolerant. They are propably not sun tolerate as they were raised in shade then thrown in the big box stores for sale and not acclimitized to full sun. Mine lost all the leaves and may or may not come back from last December double dip below 32F. Last winter killed one. At least they are cheap!

I lost all mine last winter and had to replace. I agree, not cold hardy at all. Hopefully these don't go the way of Norma and become increasingly hard to find. They are beautiful when well grown.

I lost all mine last winter and had to replace. I agree, not cold hardy at all. Hopefully these don't go the way of Norma and become increasingly hard to find. They are beautiful when well grown.

Norma has definitely become harder to locate.(I doubt magnificent will will go the way of Norma,everytime I head to Lowe's they seem to have more and more)They were 25-30 healthy examples on my visit there last week.I am always tempted to buy them as this is truly a Magnificent croton.

These Magnificent Crotons have been in the ground at a nearby shopping plaza for 4 years now. These plants are growing in a full sun location in front of the plaza sign. These plants always look to hold up better than the Petra that is also planted in the plaza's beds.
Img_8751.jpg