Ti color talk

Discussion in 'COMPANION PLANTS - TROPICAL & SUBTROPICAL' started by ScotTi, Aug 7, 2011.

1. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Ron, No problem for me not to give them supplemental nitrogen. Up here around the bay fertilizers sold can not contain nitrogen.

2. putu enjula

putu enjula Well-Known Member

Any ideas on how to get them to flower?

3. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Angela, How much is your seasonal temp swing? I think that the temp drop here plays into the flowering. After 3 months here with temps 90+ highs and upper 70s to low 80s lows the plants respond to the cooler temps now here.

4. putu enjula

Dean knows more about that.... Recently it's been about 75 during the day and 65 at night.... brrr!

5. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Angela - Not being a Ti-plant grower, I can only speculate. Potassium sulphate usual encourages better flowering results.

6. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Ron, You may be on to something. I did hit them with Sulphate of Potash in early Aug. I had read that it would enhance the colors. Maybe this has something to do with most of my Tis flowering this year.

Attached Files:

7. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Ron, Many nice Ti plants with great colors to mix in with your Crotons. Add a few and I think you will be hooked.

8. putu enjula

I read in the Ti book that phosphorous stimulates inflorescence.

9. putu enjula

BTW I'm assuming those sulfur recommendations were only for Scott... It would be like suggesting you guys add lime to your soil. :D

10. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

I should have said no phosphorus are in the fertilizers. My Ti plants get 10-0-10 and this Aug I hit them with Sulphate of Potash.

11. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Ron, The dark leaf Ti's make great background color for Crotons. Here is Mango with a Black Magic Ti. Really makes for a great contrast and pops the Mangos color even more.

Attached Files:

12. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Scott Land compared to Moose Land is like France compared to Luxenbourg size-wise. I am rapidly running out of palm room, the crotons get squeezed in as accent plants. There really would not be any room for a Ti-plant collection. :(

13. putu enjula

Wow that looks awesome!

14. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Brain fart :eek: ... you are correct Angela - phosphorous in fertilizer usually in the form as phosphate is what induces flowering. Any "bloom booster" type fertilizer has a high phosphorous %. I don't know what I was thinking? :confused:

15. putu enjula

Here's an update on a seedling...

Attached Files:

16. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

I believe that Sulphate of Potash helps kick Ti plants into flowering as well as better coloring. After giving the plants a feeding of Sulphate of Potash in Aug I have noticed increased flowering this season. Everyday more flowers are noticed, leaving only a very few plants not showing flowering at this time.

17. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Update It looks that giving the Ti plants a feeding of Sulphate of Potash is returning the lost colors. Here are photos taken today of the Marie and Jackie showing great colors returning on the new leaves now.

Attached Files:

18. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

John Cummins is back with lots of orange and lots more pink on Kiwi. Looks like Sulfate of Potash is key to great color here.

Attached Files:

19. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

Yes, that Kiwi is looking awesome now. I'll have to do some reading on Sulfate of Potash.

Scott, have you ever checked your pH? If so, you should check it after using the S of P. From what I hear about Florida, your soil conditions are unique in your pH and buffering concerns.

20. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Dean, I read that S of P will bring out the colors in Ti plants. S of P will not add salts to the soil like the reg fertlizers do. I am giving it a try on Crotons this year also.

21. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Marie pushing new growth pretty fast with lots of color, after a color rest for a few years.

Attached Files: