This Weekend!

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
In case you missed this from another forum on Palmpedia: This is a great show worth attending. :cool:

It's time to mark your calendar for the International Aroid Show and Sale to be held at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden on Sept. 21 - 22. Rather than being held in the Garden House which is being remodeled, it will be held in a huge tent near the Visitor Center (North Entrance). For more information or to make reservations for the Banquet and Auction on Sat. night, go to www.aroid.org.

Two extremely rare plants that will be auctioned Sat. night are Philodendron longilobatum ' Leylano Miyano' and Philodendron spiritus-sancti.

Philodendron longilobatum%27Leylano Miyano%27.pngPhilodendron spiritus-sancti.jpg

Marie,

Both of these are stunning! Are these your plants and where are they native to? Thanks,

Jeff

David Fell of Hilo, Hawaii donated the Philo. longilobatum 'Leylano Miyano'. I've heard his asking price in HI is $2000. It will be interesting to see what it goes for. The Philo. spiritus sancti is owned by the International Aroid Society and is propagated each year as a fund raiser for the society. The auction price has ranged from $800 - $2000. Both are native to Brazil but are very very rare there. Only 6 known plants of spiritus sancti that are protected on someone's farm. I agree, both are stunning and get much larger than those pictured.

I heard a rumor that if you are a member in good standing of the Tropical Fern & Exotic Plant Society, you can attend the show without paying the Fairchild admission. You need to e-mail the President of the Society to get put on "the list". Her E-mail is listed in the membership roster we all received. :rolleyes:

I heard a rumor that if you are a member in good standing of the Tropical Fern & Exotic Plant Society, you can attend the show without paying the Fairchild admission. You need to e-mail the President of the Society to get put on "the list". Her E-mail is listed in the membership roster we all received. :rolleyes:

You can never trust rumors. :(

My misunderstanding - there were a limited amount of passes available to TF&EPS members. There are no more remaining passes. :(

Chris and I were there bright an early Saturday morning. Everyone there was extremely nice. Many of the philodondrens looked very bizarre which would be a great accent plant to a shady garden. Resisted temptation, just too much going on with other plants that need to be attended to or get planted.

Forgot my camera, so did Chris - sorry guys & gals. :(