Thinning Some Canopy ...

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Most of the recently planted crotons (see been busy thread: http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/threads/been-busy.5015/) became more and more shaded. With the winter solstice Dec 21st, the days are slowly lengthening but the sun still is towards the southern hemisphere. There is also a two story home just to the east providing additional shading. I taking a gamble thinning out the canopy. With the weak sun, I figured these crotons could use a bit more exposure. If severe cold front makes its way this far south, then it was a bad gamble. If the winter remains mild - then it is a good move. The crotons should be getting perfect sun exposure by the summer time. Figured if the sun exposure now could get improved just 10-15%, the crotons would love it. Almost all Pritchardia fronds removed, with a couple of Coconut fronds.

Canopy 1.JPG
canopy 2.JPG
canopy 3.JPG

This Coccothrinax spissa had cascading petioles. With such a large wide leaf, the crotons were getting too much shade, especially with it located in the NW area of the yard, not much sun this time of year. Removed 9 fronds and viola - more sun for my babies.

C spissa 1.JPG
C spissa 2.JPG