Thinning Some Canopy ...

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Moose, Jan 14, 2015.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Most of the recently planted crotons (see been busy thread: http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/threads/been-busy.5015/) became more and more shaded. With the winter solstice Dec 21st, the days are slowly lengthening but the sun still is towards the southern hemisphere. There is also a two story home just to the east providing additional shading. I taking a gamble thinning out the canopy. With the weak sun, I figured these crotons could use a bit more exposure. If severe cold front makes its way this far south, then it was a bad gamble. If the winter remains mild - then it is a good move. The crotons should be getting perfect sun exposure by the summer time. Figured if the sun exposure now could get improved just 10-15%, the crotons would love it. Almost all Pritchardia fronds removed, with a couple of Coconut fronds.

Canopy 1.JPG canopy 2.JPG canopy 3.JPG

kwtimo likes this.
  2. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Cool foggy weather this morning, very comfortable to do some trimming.

canopy 4.JPG canopy 5.JPG Canopy 6.JPG

Kingdavid likes this.
  3. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Dick.jpg I'm sure Dick would have approved ...

4. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

I think the odds are highly in your favor that it will be a good move. That part of your yard is looking sweet, Ron. Your crotons are going to love you for it.:SmileyPetals

5. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

This Coccothrinax spissa had cascading petioles. With such a large wide leaf, the crotons were getting too much shade, especially with it located in the NW area of the yard, not much sun this time of year. Removed 9 fronds and viola - more sun for my babies.

C spissa 1.JPG C spissa 2.JPG

annafl and Kingdavid like this.