1. Please enjoy this new off-topic forum. It is open to everyone. Common sense will prevail as to what can be discussed. If any discussion becomes too controversial or offensive to some, it will be moved to the private "Talk Story" forum.

If you wish to read the more provocative topics in the private forum, please click on the "Contact Us" link in the lower right corner of any page and request admission.

(You may dismiss this notice permanently by clicking on the small "X" - upper right)
    Dismiss Notice

There are no slums in Australia,mate. Amazing.

Discussion in 'INTERESTING, INSIGHTFUL, PROVOCATIVE, EDUCATIONAL' started by Stan, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

In all the country and continent..none. A country that does not have great unlimited natural resources or makes electronics or outdoes Honda and Toyota. but everybody is paid a decent wage and has all the room they want.
    Oh,when I hit the lotto- Brisbane here I come!

2. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

Stan - three points to consider.
    1) Australia IS blessed with abundant natural resources (see attachment), ranking 8th richest in the world. They have almost half of what the U.S. has with only 1/14 the population. So each Australian has about 6 times the wealth of each American in terms of natural resources.
    2) Google Australian immigration policy. You will see it is often described as "harsh." As I understand it, for many years you had to have assets and needed to be able to immediately benefit the economy if you wanted to take up residence. We might have less "slums" today if we had been taking in only "rich" people for the last 200 years. But I don't think you are suggesting that as a solution. I would argue we are richer and more diverse culturally than Australia - but there also may be some negatives. At least in America there is more opportunity than anywhere to escape the slums, and have a better life - if you are willing to work hard and make the right decisions.
    3) How do you know there aren't any slums? I'll bet you there are "poor" areas. And I have heard the Aborigines don't live in the best of conditions. Some interesting reading.....
    http://www.news.com.au/finance/econ...s/news-story/90727349c05e301d0629d2c84461130d

http://theconversation.com/life-in-a-windowless-box-the-vertical-slums-of-melbourne-41181

Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 10.29.25 AM.png

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  3. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Well,it did say that even the natives don't live any where's near squalor as in ...the rest of the world. Just not upper middle class as most of Oz. There is so much pressure to fit in all around the world I wonder if diverse is even wanted...sure, equal hiring of colors when equal talent. But you know,most people of color scientists in the USA,dress and live like the majority colleagues. Eh,food music and dance on certain heritage day's...but the rest of time-conform!. Seems like what all Oz is about.
    Its not like the late 60's or early 70's when African American scientists wore African clothing. Back to shirt and tie! And BMW's..

4. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

I hope all food, all dress, all music, all architecture, etc, doesn't become the same everywhere. "One world" sounds great, but it sure would be boring.

5. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Funny but look up "Garden Citys" in Wiki..and a strange story of some development in the Gold Coast of Australia went bad,so bad almost "Mad Max" like,Police would not go there. Read it..bizarre.