The Return Of...

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by ScotTi, Aug 19, 2012.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

The orange oak leaf back for a ID. Any ideas Small 7"x3"- 5"x2" oak leaves?

Attached Files:

2. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Esteemed Member

No idea ,but very nice

3. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

I put a couple of airlayers on it today. It is one of my favorites and it is planted in a cold location in the garden.

4. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Mike, I will get a rooted airlayer to you to grow down your way.

5. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

That's a beautiful plant.

6. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Esteemed Member

Thanks Scott,just a reminder for you to clear out your message inbox.You cannot receive any more messages

7. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Clear

8. donroberth

donroberth Well-Known Member

Hi Scott…I’ve been reading the responses to your "The Return of…" (Orange Oak Leaf) with interest. I’ve attached a couple of photographs of the cultivar I have in my garden which appears to be a dead-ringer for yours.

Hope you get your I.D. so I can put a name on mine :) !

Attached Files:

9. fawnridge

fawnridge Well-Known Member

Scott - not sure what yours is but the photos above are Van Buren.

10. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

I added as many airlayers as I could on this plant without totally destroying the plant.

Attached Files:

11. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

I think this plant is Henry Coppinger. Looks like the photo in the book (pg83). The ID was suggested by Sergey in another thread. What do you think?

Attached Files:

12. pocomo

pocomo Active Member

Scott, if that is Henry Coppinger I'd really love to have one. Many years ago Tim Anderson and I named a croton Henry Coppinger only to find there was one named after him. I don't know if Henry was the breeder of this one or not but I don't remember seeing it at his place. Then again it may have been there but at the time he died (1978) and I began tending the place most of the crotons had become tall a leggy and still in pots and in pretty deep shade. At that point they lost a lot of their color. So many crotons, probably mostly unheralded seedlings, and so many I had to pass up. Chris

13. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Chris, I removed two of the three airlayers yesterday. You are more than welcome to have one. Im not great at airlayering so we will see if they make it.

Attached Files:

14. pocomo

pocomo Active Member

Scott.. I hope there's something here you might like. And if you airlayered something, just make sure it has some roots before you cut it off. For me it doesn't seem to matter that the rootball is totally filled out as long as it's kept in a somewhat protected area where it will have humidity, as much as you can provide, especially at first. Hope it goes well. This one sure looks like the picture in the book! Chris

15. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Chris, It is hard to compare by a small book photo, hope someone can provide a picture here of the Henry Coppinger plant.

16. fawnridge

fawnridge Well-Known Member

Scott - David McLean had a Henry Coppinger at the old BCC nursery. Huge plant right next to a 15' Rheedii. I had a cutting from it that died in one of the recent cold winters. The one thing I remember clearly was the orange midvein, very visible in the photo page 83. Your plant has pink midveins as well as lots of pink everywhere else. I don't know what it is but one of these might be the same plant.

Attached Files:

17. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Here are pictures taken today showing the late winter colors.

Attached Files:

18. Native son

Native son Well-Known Member

image.jpg . Does this photo show as the same plant, I have I D as Van Buren by several people gets lots of morning sun.

19. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Lamar, I have 2 Van Buren and they do not look like this one. Here are a few close ups showing some of the older leaves with lots of color.

Attached Files:

20. Jerry Shilling

Jerry Shilling Well-Known Member

Here is my Van Buren in shade.

Attached Files:

21. Native son

Good deal, I have a very small plant about six leaves from Mark Peters labeled Henry Cop. It will be awhile but I have got something to look forward to.

22. Native son

image.jpg image.jpg
    Not having a clue on the name of any given plant is not an asset but bear with me I might learn someday. Look these two photos of the same plant I found here today, it had a scale problem but is making a come back, looks a little like HENRY maybe.