The longest yard!!

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Bullwinkle, May 20, 2013.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Esteemed Member

I had just finished planting around 80% of the plants that I brought with me on my move(400 or so plants from 1 gallon to 3 gallon)and my wife said you could use some mulch.I went on to craigslist to search and I would an ad that said 30 yards of mulch for $100 with free delivery.I had no idea how much this would be.The lady said it would be fine to do a big garden.I was at work when the truck came and dropped of the mulch on my front yard.My wife called me and told me you better take a few days off work.When i came home I could not believe the mulch pile on the front yard(it was around 5 ft high and 20 feet long).When I checked online apparently 1 yard is around 16 bags of 2 cu. ft. mulch.I did the math and I realized I had around 500 bags of mulch or around 7 pallets!!Anyways I started spreading on thursday and I finished a couple hours ago.I hope my plants appreciate my work.I fertilized before mulching so other than spraying for scale I should not have to do too much for a while.Anyone who is interested the mulch was good quality so I can recommend this for anyone who needs a lot of mulch.I know where I can get mulch free but it would take 20 trips at least to get that amount of mulch in my truck so $100 is way cheaper and it gets dropped right at your door.So far I have used almost all the mulch,I have relocated around 1 yard of mulch to my back yard until I need it.By the way the mulch pile got really hot in the few days that it was on the yard,it was interesting to see the heat generated by the pile.

Attached Files:

2. koki

koki Active Member

First picture is great! Get on it!

3. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

Mike, I feel your pain. Just finished moving 6 cu yds this weekend on top of 6 the previous week. This is the regular mulch provided by the City of St. Pete; it's well ground and then aged to an internal pile temp of 150F to kill weeds. $25 delivery charge for 6 yds or less. Thye also have a log mulch and a double ground log mulch which looks a lot like what you got

Attached Files:

4. waykoolplantz

waykoolplantz Active Member

I'm down for that...send me a note how, please

5. Bullwinkle

Thanks Phil,It is great that St. Pete delivers mulch.I hope that I do not get many weeds as my mulch was not aged.In fact the trees had been cut down earlier that day!!Mike pm was sent with the mulch info.

6. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

I was thinking this was going to be a thread about Burt Reynolds :eek:

7. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

A photo of my driveway after "mulch" delivery would consist of 30 bales of tightly bound pine straw. You guys should look into this. It doesn't break down as quickly as mulch (you can go 2 years without replenshing) and doesn't wash away in a deluge. At least when it comes to Bald Cypress mulch, pine straw is also environmentally better.

8. waykoolplantz

waykoolplantz Active Member

Thanks Mike...Greg called

9. koki

koki Active Member

Ray,
    I used pine straw on my mimosa bed, it worked great. I remember you citing a source several months ago but I can't remember the details. I think I paid $3 a bundle.

10. Kipjanet

Kipjanet Active Member

Mike could you post a name and phone # of your source Thanks Kip

11. Bullwinkle

From craigslist.Good luck.They will bring anywhere from 25-30 yards if the truck is completely full.

Mulch (Fort Lauderdale)
    Clean Mulch 25 yard load $100.00, free delivery 954-604-1069
    it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
    Posting ID: 3792649567 Posted: 2013-05-20, 8:39AM EDT