The Crotons of Ecuador

Marie Nock

04/07/09
We just returned from a week in Ecuador exploring the aroids and orchids of the rain forests and cloud forests. Along the way there were a few crotons but at the resort hotel we stayed in in Zamora, the owner had quite a selection of crotons on the grounds. He even allowed me to take 3 cuttings of varieties I didn't have. Georgia Tasker's blog at Fairchild Tropicl botni Garden details much of our trip. I asked her to take croton pictures for me since we were having camera problems. So the first pictures I'll post are hers and when I figure out how to download pictures from the phone, I'll post some more.

Ecuador 4 May 2013.jpgEcuador 5 May 2013.jpgEcuador 3 May 2013.jpgEcuador 6 May 2013.jpg

1 = Mortii
2 = ?
3 = ?
4 = Jungle Queen / William Craig

Attachments

• Ecuador 7 May 2013.jpg
    Ecuador 7 May 2013.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 104
  • Ecuador 8 May 2013.jpg
    Ecuador 8 May 2013.jpg
    515.6 KB · Views: 145
  • Ecuador 9 May 2013.jpg
    Ecuador 9 May 2013.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 106
  • Ecuador 10 May 2013.jpg
    Ecuador 10 May 2013.jpg
    469.8 KB · Views: 97
Well, I didn't realize the last 4 pictures were going to post so here are some names for them.
5 = Princess Eugenia
6 = Jungle Queen
7 = Jungle Queen
8 = Nestor

Just a note on Princess Eugenia. I brought a cutting of Princess Eugenia back from Ecuador about 10 years ago. That's the one that has been propagated and is in many of your collections. That was from a croton in front of the hotel in Guayaquil. The resort in Zamora was on the other side of the Andes so I guess it is widely distributed in Ecuador.

Marie, sounds like a great trip! I would love to explore the rain forests! Nice photos, too. Love the Jungle Queen. It's so interesting seeing the same familiar crotons in a different part of the world, and seeing new ones too, of course. Thanks for showing us. Any rainforest pics?

Here are a few more. I'm not sure of the first one. The second is a struggling William Craig. I think the third and fourth are Duke of Windsor. The color was outstanding I assume caused by the soil and the sun at that altitude.

DSC02642 (1).jpgDSC02645.jpgDSC02640.jpgDSC02638.jpg

Marie, sounds like a great trip! I would love to explore the rain forests! Nice photos, too. Love the Jungle Queen. It's so interesting seeing the same familiar crotons in a different part of the world, and seeing new ones too, of course. Thanks for showing us. Any rainforest pics?

Ana,
Here's the site for Georgia's blog with lots of pictures other than crotons http://www.fairchildgarden.org/livingcollections/GeorgiaBlog/

Thanks, Marie! Great pictures and account by Gloria. Sounds like an exciting adventure.

I have recently become friends with Libby Besse so I had to send her the link to Gloria's blog that mentions her phragmipedium and shows great photos of it. One of her sons has an anthurium named after him, maybe you know? She has been on so many similar expeditions as this one in so many continents. Walking through her yard is like being in many different countries. Interestingly enough, orchids aren't her thing at all. She is an incredible expert on cycads and palms. And what a collection she has. Unreal. She is a great lady and choch full of plant knowledge.

Anna, I believe Libby Besse is a board member of the International Palm Society. You should take a look at the IPS Forum (Palmtalk) as a lot of posters here also post on that forum. Take a look at the "Tropical Looking Plants" area. There are quite a few croton photos there.

I have recently become friends with Libby Besse so I had to send her the link to Gloria's blog that mentions her phragmipedium and shows great photos of it. One of her sons has an anthurium named after him, maybe you know? She has been on so many similar expeditions as this one in so many continents. Walking through her yard is like being in many different countries. Interestingly enough, orchids aren't her thing at all. She is an incredible expert on cycads and palms. And what a collection she has. Unreal. She is a great lady and choch full of plant knowledge.[/QUOTE]

Hi Ana,
We got to meet Libby and see her fabulous garden about 6 years ago. Leland Miyano was visiting from Hawaii and they are friends so we drove him over for a visit. I've never seen such large cycads. Please give her our regards and condolences. I just heard on Monday of her husband's death. And yes we have Anthurium bessei.
Marie

Hi Marie,

Yes, I've never seen anything like her cycads. A collection that far surpasses Selby or any other botanical garden that I've ever seen and the size and trunks on some of them is incredible. Her palms are the same way. Things that shouldn't be growing here in Sarasota for some reason are thriving in her yard.:eek: Yes, Marie, I'll definitely give her your regards and condolences when I see her.