The Croton Garden of Robert Heredia Revisted Part 1

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by donroberth, Jan 26, 2010.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. donroberth

donroberth Well-Known Member

Fotos 1-4: 1) Introduction: For those of you that haven’t met him in person, this is “Jeff Anderson in Costa Rica” and the person that encouraged me to share this photo presentation with all of you. 2) Don’t be fooled…this is my water tank (Cap. 28 Cubic Meters) disguised as a typical Costa Rican country house. 3) Entrance to “Finca” (Ranch)…Welcome! 4) Come on down, the Crotons gardens are located below. As you can see I live in the mountains, 4,800 feet above sea level and 1,400 feet atop the capitol city of San Jose.

Attached Files:

2. donroberth

Fotos 5-8: 5) My neighbors down the road a bit in Escazu Hills as seen from the Finca (Ranch). If you wish, click on the slides of special interest to you…I think you’ll enjoy the detail in the larger pix. 6) Before the Mixed Croton Salad Garden…3 years ago. 7-8) Mixed Croton Salad Garden today planted on an incline.

Attached Files:

3. donroberth

1. Fotos 9-12: Mixed Croton Salad Garden today continued.
    All the following individual Croton pix are done in a series of 2,3 or 4 in order to include full frontal, medium close up and/or petioles and bracts where possible. I find this method very helpful when trying to I.D. look-alikes…I hope I haven’t committed photo over-kill! See “The Confusing Crotons” DTD JUL12’09 by Crazy for Crotons in the Int’l Croton Society Forum, pg. 12 of 12…excellent thread.
    I have been unable to identify the next 10 Crotons…can someone out there please help me? I need “lots” of guidance with this category.

Attached Files:

4. donroberth

Fotos 13-14): Semi-Oak Leaf with orange and yellow splotches, I.D. please? 15-16) Joseph Fodure? I.D. please?

Attached Files:

5. donroberth

Fotos 17-20: Broad Leaf Orange, I.D. please? 19) These leaves are located under the same plant in full shade all day…nice pastel colors.

Attached Files:

6. donroberth

Fotos 21-24: Long Leaf Pink Spots, I.D. please? 21-22) planted in Croton Salad in full afternoon sun and 23-24) Pink Spots in a flowerpot with 2 hours of mid-morning sun daily.

Attached Files:

7. donroberth

Fotos 25-28: When this Croton was less developed it looked like a Duke of Windsor, now I’m not so sure, I.D. please. 25-26) planted in Croton Salad and 27-28) in a container.

Attached Files:

8. donroberth

Fotos 29-32: Reliance, Golden Glow or other, I.D. please? 29-30, planted in Croton Salad. 31-32) in a flower pot. This Croton was sold to me locally as Moon Ray or “Rayo de Luna”.

Attached Files:

9. donroberth

Fotos 33-36: Another mystery Croton, I.D. please? I call it “Luany” after my fiancée, striking isn’t it?

Attached Files:

10. donroberth

1. Fotos 37-40: Irene Kingsley? I.D. please?

Attached Files:

11. donroberth

Fotos 41-44: Burgundy, Semi-Oak Leaf, I.D. please?

Attached Files:

12. donroberth

Fotos 45-48: F.D. Roosevelt, Captain Kidd, Tiger Eye or Other…I.D. please? I still can’t tell the difference!

Attached Files:

13. donroberth

NOTE: The following 11 Crotons are cultivars that I think I have identified correctly. If I have committed mistakes please correct me so that I can make the appropriate changes in my Croton files.
    Fotos 49-52: Bravo, “Bravo”.

Attached Files:

14. donroberth

Fotos 53-56: Petra, “Petra”. Confessions of a “Croton-aholic”: Petra is one of the cultivars that originally turned me on to Crotons…that’s when I learned that Costa Rica was an exporter to the USA. I didn’t realize it then but I was hooked…one was not enough!

Attached Files:

15. donroberth

Fotos 57-60: Excellent, “Excelente”. 57-58) Excellent in Croton Salad, 59-60 in a container.

Attached Files:

16. donroberth

Fotos 61-64: Gold Dust, “Grano de Oro”, 64) Be careful, this slide depicts Gold Dust (front) and Golden Shower in the back-round. These two cultivars confused me until I planted them together.

Attached Files:

17. donroberth

Fotos 65-68: Golden Shower, “Lluvia de Oro”, 67-68) Again…be careful, pictured is Golden Shower (front) and Gold Dust in back-round. In this last slide you can really tell the difference between the two.

Attached Files:

18. donroberth

Fotos 69-72: Stoplight. 69-70) I like these particular slides because they display all of the colors in the leaf’s development…the leaf will eventually go completely red and black as depicted in fotos 71-72. Also, please see fotos 94 & 95, Crotons in the tropical garden section.

Attached Files:

19. donroberth

Fotos 73-76: Johannis, 73-74) planted in Croton Salad and 75-76) in a container…notice this plant’s Interruptum feature in the last 2 pix.

Attached Files:

20. donroberth

Fotos 77-80: Mrs. Iceton, “Manzano”…”Manzano” means apple tree in Costa Rican Spanish. I understand that Mrs. Iceton was also known originally as Apple Leaf.

Attached Files:

21. donroberth

1. Fotos 81-84: Ovalifolium, “Oreja de Chancho” means Sow’s ear in C.R. Spanish. 84) Ovalifolium planted in full shade and developing several sports…is this cultivar naturally green? What happened?

Attached Files:

22. donroberth

Fotos 85-88: Commotion. Planted in open shade displaying soft, pastel colors as suggested by Jeff Searle…slow, but its’ working. 88) What is causing this strange growth on my potted commotion?

Attached Files:

23. donroberth

Fotos 89-92: Dayspring. 89-90) My Dayspring in a container, 91-92) Although I have tried to make this presentation exclusively from my gardens, my neighbors’ fully developed Dayspring (8-9 feet high), down the hill is so beautiful…I opted to make an exception and share it with all of you.

Attached Files:

24. donroberth

Re: The Croton Garden of Robert Heredia REVISITED Part 1

Fotos 93-96: The next and final 7 slides are Crotons in a tropical garden environment. 93) Mystery Croton “Luany”, 94) Stoplight, 95) “Luany”, General Paget and Stoplight grouped together, 96) Johannis.

Attached Files:

25. donroberth

Re: The Croton Garden of Robert Heredia REVISITED Part 1

Fotos 97-100: 97) Bravo, 98) F.D. Roosevelt…I think? 99) Pot Pourri with unidentified Croton Pink Spots in the right-center. 100) I hope you have enjoyed this brief visit to my Finca’s Croton gardens…do you have your “book” yet? Best Regards, Robert Heredia.

Attached Files:

26. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Robert, Thank you for the great pictures !

27. Sihara

Sihara Active Member

The photos are wonderful - I keep coming back to them and ogling all that incredible croton gorgeousness.

28. Jeff in Costa Rica

Jeff in Costa Rica Active Member

Bob, it was nice visiting you again a few weeks ago. You did a great job with the photos! You have some amazing Crotons that I have never seen anywhere else. I hope you get some help identifying your unknown ones.

29. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Bob,

As you probably know already, it can be extreamly hard to put a name on a croton from looking at pictures.

I think most all of your names are correct.

85-80...not too sure if this is Comotion. Dosen't look quite right.

89-92...Dayspring is correct

17-20...This is beautiful! But I have no idea on a name.

37-40...I agree on Irene Kingsley

45-48...Could be Roosevelt or Captain Kid

53-56...Petra

57-60...Could be Excellent.

61-64...Gold Dust

69-72...Stoplight

73-76...Correct

77-80...Correct as well.

30. donroberth

Jeff Searle...Many thx for taking a few moments and confirming some of the Croton names from the fotos I sent in. Also, thx to the persons that sent in compliments related to the photographic quality of the presentation.

Hopefully some of the other "veteran" members will take a crack at naming the ones I don't recognize...I'm very weak and need help in Croton Identification by name.

31. koki

koki Active Member

21 looks like rainbow starlight.

32. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

The fourth (far right) pic of Commotion (does not look like Commotion to me but that's another story) exhibits cresting. I've seen this on one or two plants that Kieth Hanks had and have seen mention of it on a cycad board. i have no idea what causes it; perhaps someone more knowledgeable can chime in.

33. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Another thread worthy of a bump. :)