1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

The Color of Borassus

Discussion in 'PALM TREES - WHERE TROPICAL STARTS' started by Tim McKernan, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Tim McKernan

Tim McKernan Member

Glad I found your site! Another place for a palm addict's fix.
    I'll make my first post. I believe this is B. flabellifer. Is there better color in another non-rainforest palm?

[​IMG]

2. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

Welcome Tim, and thanks for that excellent pic. Just what I need. Another palm I need to find a place for. I had no idea they had that much color.

3. Toko

Toko Member

very, very nice!

4. Sihara

Sihara Active Member

I'll make my first post here too. Tim what a striking palm! And the photography is beautiful as well. The undersides of the leaves appear to be a silvery green. Are the upper parts of the leaf that same color or a deeper green?

5. Amazing colors, first Borassus I saw.
    This palm is actually growing in Miami?
    I remember years ago when the citrus industry in Florida was wiped out by a frost, citrus growing in Costa Rica started.

So this palm resists cold spells?

6. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

Jose Maria,

I am not sure of the cold hardiness of Borassus. Maybe someone else can help. But I don't think even citrus is in jeopardy as far south as Miami.

I thought you guys might like to see a page another member is working on that shows the transplanting of an extremely large Borassus in Florida.

http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/index.php/KEN_JOHNSON_SPECIMEN_PALMS