The Color of Borassus

Discussion in 'PALM TREES - WHERE TROPICAL STARTS' started by Tim McKernan, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Tim McKernan

Tim McKernan Member

Glad I found your site! Another place for a palm addict's fix.
    I'll make my first post. I believe this is B. flabellifer. Is there better color in another non-rainforest palm?

[​IMG]

2. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

Welcome Tim, and thanks for that excellent pic. Just what I need. Another palm I need to find a place for. I had no idea they had that much color.

3. Toko

Toko Member

very, very nice!

4. Sihara

Sihara Active Member

I'll make my first post here too. Tim what a striking palm! And the photography is beautiful as well. The undersides of the leaves appear to be a silvery green. Are the upper parts of the leaf that same color or a deeper green?

5. Amazing colors, first Borassus I saw.
    This palm is actually growing in Miami?
    I remember years ago when the citrus industry in Florida was wiped out by a frost, citrus growing in Costa Rica started.

So this palm resists cold spells?

6. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

Jose Maria,

I am not sure of the cold hardiness of Borassus. Maybe someone else can help. But I don't think even citrus is in jeopardy as far south as Miami.

I thought you guys might like to see a page another member is working on that shows the transplanting of an extremely large Borassus in Florida.

http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/index.php/KEN_JOHNSON_SPECIMEN_PALMS