1. Please enjoy this new off-topic forum. It is open to everyone. Common sense will prevail as to what can be discussed. If any discussion becomes too controversial or offensive to some, it will be moved to the private "Talk Story" forum.

If you wish to read the more provocative topics in the private forum, please click on the "Contact Us" link in the lower right corner of any page and request admission.

(You may dismiss this notice permanently by clicking on the small "X" - upper right)
    Dismiss Notice

Thanksgiving Photo Art

Discussion in 'INTERESTING, INSIGHTFUL, PROVOCATIVE, EDUCATIONAL' started by Ranger Smith, Nov 20, 2014.

1. My wife started in on this project, of making Thanksgiving-themed photos, so I helped her along with her project. This is all stuff that grew in our yard.This kalabasa squash is tough and starchy, but it's edible, and it will help stretch your grocery budget. I recommend it for tropical gardeners who want free food, even if it's not the best. At least the plants produce a lot. :)
    thanksgiving-display-11-18-14a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2014
  2. This is NOT working well for me today. I can't get the forum to allow me to correct my mistakes.
    thanksgiving-display-11-18-14d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2014
  3. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

I think I got the problem corrected Jeff. Please add more photos now if you have them.

Ranger Smith likes this.
  4. Otay, here we go, with the last two pics. And for you food growers, I have more news on the kalabasa squash, shown in the pictures here. I quartered one, yesterday, sprayed it with cooking spray, wrapped it in foil, and put it over the coals,for two hours. After cooking, it definitely had more and better flavor than when boiled. Still, the thing that most amazes me about this type of squash, is the amount of STARCH in it, it's like a potato, in starchiness. And the texture of the baked squash was very dense, kind of like a glob of dough. Still, I recommend it for anyone on a tight budget, as there is a lot of food value in these things, and the plants are very hardy and productive. Baked is best, with melting butter, it'll definitely fill you up. :) And Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! :)

Attached Files:

5. Dypsisdean

Nice photos Jeff.

You are now allowed into the private Talk Story forum. Remember, we will tolerate some controversy as we try and tackle or discuss the tough and passionate topics, but please do not insult people personally. And it is possible to get a strong point of view across without being rude and crude and using language that just pushes people's buttons. So just be civil - but feel free to criticize or make a emotional argument if you feel the need.

6. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

If you love George W. Bush, you will fit in there. Rush Limbaugh is upheld as a God on the Talk Story forum. If you lean anywhere just left, be prepared to get bombarded with ... SpitOutDummy

7. Otay, thank you. :) Gosh, I hope I haven't been rude to anyone here. I never try to be, it's just a natural talent/curse of mine.

8. Moose, I don't like George W. Bush, because of what he did to Ramos and Compean, but yes, I love Maharushi, the all-knowing, all-feeling and all-caring. I hope to see you in there too. :)

9. Dypsisdean

MooseMan is about as Lefty as they come, who thinks a Bush who initiates giant perscription drug plans and runs giant deficits is a Right Winger.

He would even try to tell you that bombing Iraq, droning civilians, and surging in Afghansitan is a Right Wing policy too - which makes Obama too far right for him now that he has been playing the same game. I just heard more "advisors" are also being sent to Afghanistan now.

But this is a Talk Story topic. :)

He's still a great gardener and we love him here. But too bad he's allowed to vote. ;)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  10. Now THAT'S very funny. :) Yeah, you're going to get all types in a forum about gardening. But I hope that even Libs are allowed in the restricted area. And since you and I are both dangerous right-wing extremists, with respect for freedom of speech, freedom of dissent, diversity of opinion and tolerance for those who disagree with us, my guess is that you allowed him in the restricted area, but that he chooses not to participate. :)

11. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Dang - no colorful yams in the photos. Oh wait, yams originated in Africa. They were brought over with the slaves as a naive source of starch. Wouldn't want to taint your whitey stomach with ethnic sweet potatoes.
    fear.jpg
    You may start having cravings for collard greens, corn rowing your hair or growing out dreads.

12. Pretty silly. Actually, yams are one of my favorite foods, but the picture that I posted was of stuff grown in my yard, and I don't have any yams. I'd love to grow them, but I have a soil and water shortage where I live. I do have sweet potato plants growing in my yard, but they've been in the ground for so long, and they are still so small, that I never even bothered to dig them up to see what's there. But collard greens are just AWFUL. Yuck! :( And as for corn rows, well, ugly is ugly, no matter who wears a certain hair style or where it comes from.

13. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Yep, ugly is ugly
    corn rows 1.jpg corn rows 2.jpg corn rows 3.jpg corn rows 4.jpg corn rows 5.jpg

Collards cooked right are amazing. I'd understand an aversion towards chittlin's but collards - oh man

14. Just because one moderately hot chick has corn rows, doesn't mean that I'm suddenly going to like corn rows. the one time that I tried collared greens, I found them to be very tough and tasteless. It was like mowing weeds, emptying the catch bag in a pot, boiling it, and pretending that it was food. I never did try chitlins, and I don't even WANT to try. Yuck!

15. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Go easy on the Yams. Too many and you may start listening to hip hop, get'n you some gold toofies and start a collection of Baby's Mamas

toofies.jpeg babymomma.jpg

16. Thanks
    Thanks for the warning. It's been several months since I've had any yams, so I think I'll be OK. But it's nice to know that eating such food can have such dire consequences. I'll be sure to avoid it from now on. :)